Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I have noticed a curious trend- I have had two bettas with lymphocytosis (one bought knowingly because I had experience with the disease before and felt comfortable giving him a quality life, however short) and both bettas developed popeye as their disease progressed over time. I have also found that despite my best effort, the popeye doesn't seem to go away even with treatment (Kanaplex, 3 doses over 6 days as per the bottle says) It was not long after treatment stopped that Sherlock's lympho became too progressed for him to live comfortably and his popeye came back, and he was humanely euthanized via clove oil. My current charge with lympho, Quasimodo, is beginning to develop popeye as his lympho worsens. Does anyone know of any genetic link between lympho and being prone to bacterial infections, specifically popeye? I suppose it would make sense, as lymphocytosis probably weakens the fish's immune system.
Point of interest: the tumors and affected eye have in both cases been on the same side of the body.
NOTE: This is purely written from a scientific point of view, not sentimental. I knew full well buying Quasi that he wouldn't be around long, and am prepared to euthanize him the moment he becomes unable to have a quality life. I also am not looking for treatment advice, as I have dealt with both lympho and popeye before.
Please discuss! This could prove to be quite interesting, and informative for others.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
As with most diseases, when a fish has one there is often a secondary infection. and as more diseases become antibiotic resistant the more this will happen, a number of things can cause popeye, could be bacterial, viral, fungal, or as a result of injury.My suggestion would be to add some old school treatments to the routine methylene blue dips/baths, stuff like that, try some antifungal stuff, it's hard to say what will work when there are too many choices that could be causing the problem

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.