Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my bettas has been constipated for a few days. I fasted her and then today I gave her some pea, but she hasn't pooped yet. How long should it take? i gave her the pea about 4 hours ago but she hasn't pooped yet.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
How long have you been fasting her? How do you know he's constipated?

I would avoid the pea method from here on out - they're pretty dangerous.
If fasting doesn't help, you can add Epsom Salts to help move things along.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know she's constipated because she started having swim bladder issues and her stomach was fat. I had fasted her for 4 days.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Cool, just wanted to make sure she was actually havin issues :)

I would go ahead and add the ES, at 1tsp/Gal. Make sure you premix, don't just put the salt in the tank. And add the solution slowly, over the course of a few hours.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Agreed on the peas, they can actually cause internal damage. Betta fish are naturally carnivorous and can't digest peas, so it just goes through the digestive tract, but like anything that is not digested, it can cause tearing, ripping, compaction, etc.
Epsom salts work wonders.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
what you can do, (it works for my boy Sardine) is place a mirror in front of her to help her poo. =P if she even flares at herself in the mirror.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
frozen Daphnia is the best thing to try food wise, it acts as a natural laxative for Betta's. I personally would try the Daphnia before adding Epsom's in the water.

You will find frozen Daphnia in a freezer, and will need to be stored in the freezer. To feed you defrost a small portion in a small amount of water in a cup.

What do you normally feed your betta's?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long should I leave her in with the epsom salt? I put her in a 1 gal tank and added the salt/water mixture in over a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone???
She's been in the epsom salt bath for about 12
hours. I need to know if I need to remove her! I put her in a 1 gal. tank with 1 tsp. of ES. She's not doing well at all. Just lying on the bottom and her stomach is still big. helpppp

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
As far as I have read although no experience I think you leave her in it like a treatment. You can use salt/Epsom's for as long as ten days. I think it takes a while to work anyway from what I have read and understand. I did see your question earlier, but was hoping haveyouhadyourteayet would have seen it or been online to answer, as it was her? suggestion. I think she meant for your boy to stay in the treatment though from what I understand for treating constipation, bloating.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Sorry just looking at avatar pic and saying your boy. When you said girl. lol

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, thanks.
She's not really moving at all even when i tap on the tank and I don't know if she has come up for air. Is constipation something bettas die from?? I didn't think so but she seems to be barely alive. :(

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Are you sure its constipation and she isn't egg bound? Birds die from that and I am pretty sure the same is true for betta's.

Constipation can cause other organ problems as well. Epsom's can put a strain on the kidney's as betta's are initially fresh water fish, and not really designed to be in salt water (hence 10 days max for treatments) but if your girl as a problem there it could be a bit much for her. If you think she has gotten worse since the Epsom's I would consider taking her out if she was mine. Maybe change out half the water and reduce the salt content. Then see if that helps her.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She hasn't gotten worse since I put her in the ES water... she had gotten worse overnight in the sorority tank. She had been doing ok (just struggling to swim because it's causing SBD so she sinks). So she's on the bottom a lot but she would always swim up to get food (I was fasting her so I wod remove her when I was feeding the others). yesterday she was on the bottom almost non-responsive. She's been the same since I put her in the salt. She did seem worse earlier this morning but I hadn't put in a heater yet bc I didn't know when I was supposed to put her back into fresh water. So this morning I put in a heater and she's moving around a lot more now. still sitting on the bottom but she's moved 3 times in the past two or three minutes that I've been typing. so I dunno...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You might want to try turning the heat up a bit, if she was egg bound at all, I am guessing heat will help. With birds taking them into a warm room or providing a heat lamp helps them sometimes and they lay the eggs. Not saying that's what she has, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Either way if the heat is helping then turning her heater up might help her even more.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got home tonight and she had died today. :( :( :( She was my favorite girl in my sorority.
Maybe she was egg bound, then. After she died her ovaries looked brown (she's white so you can see them). So maybe because they were filled up with eggs? idk. I'm just kind of sad right now. Thanks, everyone, for your help.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
So sorry to here of your loss. You did all you could.

I remember when I had a community tank that was said to be one of the problems with female betta's if they weren't actively breeding. I know they are supposed to drop unused eggs, but as they get older it must get harder, having to do that all the time.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Awwww I am so sorry. T^T You did the best you could.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts