Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
So, one of my bettas is sick again. Now this guy is notorious for getting constipated but this time, I think it may be a bit worse. He’s swimming very oddly and can’t seem to swim to the bottom of the tank easily. I think he may be backed up again but he’s not bloated, from what I can tell. So, the next idea would be an infection, right? I’m not really sure how to check or treat Swim Bladder Disorder. I’ve started treating him for constipation again but while I’m doing that, I thought I would try getting a second opinion.

Thanks !

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5

Does it have a filter? Yes, But not always on.

Does it have a heater? Yes

What temperature is your tank? 82

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? New Life Spectrum

Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets

Freeze-dried? No

How often do you feed your Betta? How much? He’s picky. So, he use to get 3 once a day. Recently only 2 once a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week

What percentage of water did you change? Usually 50%

Do you vacuum the substte or just dip out water? Syphon

What additives do you use? Top Fin Water Prep

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4
Hardness (GH): (I don’t know how to test this)
Alkalinity (KH): (I don’t know how to test this)

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About 2ish weeks ago

How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His fins are ripped horribly and they seem to be losing color. They are arguably turning transparent. His scales are fine though.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed? VERY Lethargic. Not very responsive to anything anymore. He seems to have trouble swimming down and will unconditionally float to the top. Occasionally, gets startled by seemingly nothing and darts around the tank. He also hides in the back more.

Is your Betta still eating? Oddly enough, he eats fine.

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes. I have only been treating him for 2 days but I have done a 75% water change and added salt to the tank to help with his fins. I’ve also started fasting him to help with, what I’m thinking is, constipation again. He’ll get a pea piece tomorrow.

Does your Betta have any history ,of being ill? Yes, unfortunately. He has a history of both constipation and fin rot. I think the constipation may be due to his spine. It’s a little crooked.

How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I’ve had him roughly 4 months or so. He was healthy when I got him

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

P.S. I also recorded him swimming but I'm not sure how to upload it here, So used a photo-stash... It needs to be downloaded but if it helps...>> http://sta.sh/01hl9lppgcut

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
!!!Update!!!

So, I gave him the pea peice and his attitude did a 180. He's swimming a bit better and is much less clamped. Disputes this though, his fins are almost gone now. So, I'm putting him in a smaller tank to regulate the tempture better.

I think I can get the rot under control now but the little guy still gets constipated a lot. So, I still have the lingering question of how to deal with that. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Try feeding him frozen daphnia once a week and see if he improves. Peas are not ideal for constant use. Also, fast him on weekends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts