Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting my 10g in my kitchen. My kitchen is seperated by my living room by a half wall that has my cabinets and countertop on the kitchen side...basically you can watch TV from my kitchen...anyway I am thinking a cooking or bar theme would be cute. So far I have looked at tropical margarita glasses for caves:
http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/Dining...Ribbons-Drinkware/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Black sand substrate that I'll probably seal in aquarium epoxy at a later date just to make cleaning easier.

Acrylic ice cubes:
http://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Ice-Cubes-Rough-Prodyne/dp/B00020OH48

Any ideas??

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hummm, isn't food grade silicon fish-safe? There are all kinds of silicon containers.

Cute idea. I have a 5 gallon in my kitchen I might have to think about some themed items.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
376 Posts
kitchen-themed?
I'd take wooden ladles and lay them around
As well as wine glasses
and Fiestaware plates (small)
Teacups are good
As well as spoons (no harmful metal)
and if you could get your hands on some "glazed food" decoration made out of fired sculpted, glazed clay, you could put it on the plate ;)
Cute idea though :)
For the background I'd draw or print out a picture of a kitchen, maybe the perspective should be like the tank is on the counter and you're viewing the room from there.

·
Registered
781 Posts
kitchen-themed?
I'd take wooden ladles and lay them around
As well as wine glasses
and Fiestaware plates (small)
Teacups are good
As well as spoons (no harmful metal)
and if you could get your hands on some "glazed food" decoration made out of fired sculpted, glazed clay, you could put it on the plate ;)
Cute idea though :)
For the background I'd draw or print out a picture of a kitchen, maybe the perspective should be like the tank is on the counter and you're viewing the room from there.
Never put anything with a glaze in your aquarium. I also wouldn't suggest putting anything metal in there.

·
Registered
318 Posts
For bar theme: shot glasses, plastic or glass swizzle sticks, wine stoppers, mini liquor bottles (labels removed or printed on the glass).

For kitchen theme: measuring spoon sets, plastic whisk, plastic cookie cutters. Use a place mat, old cookbook pages/cover or kitchen-themed wallpaper as tank background.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've read that anything that is food safe is aquarium safe. I'm not sure if this is true, but I have had a coffee cup in my aquarium for the past two years, with no problems. I did it after the cave I bought from the LFS started chipping paint. Anyway, I think it's adorable, as I am a total coffee addict. ;)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Soccerdog! A coffeehouse inspired theme would be super easy to find stuff for and a coffee mug would make a super cave! I like that idea as well as the bar idea I was leaning towards.

·
Registered
166 Posts
And there are lots of fun things you could do with a coffee theme - maybe lean a saucer up against a corner as another little cave option.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would love to see what you finally end up with. I really like this idea :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If it's safe for us to drink or eat with it's safe for your aquarium. I used china plates and cups. I put the big plate in the back and used a piece of driftwood in front of that and propped a small plate in front against the driftwood. Be sure if you do this you bury them in the rocks a little so they don't roll and I put glasses on either side. I loved it and it gave the fish some places to explore. I used glazed green coffee mugs in my sorority when it first started. You can see them in my pics. They were cute.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Wow this sounds really neat! Please post pics once it's finished, I can't wait! :D

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
It'd be cool if you put bright green gravel in a standing martini glass too ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
One of these days I hope to get everything I need to do a sushi themed tank.

I love the bar theme idea. You could use a plastic 3 piece shaker as a cave. If you could find plastic lemon or lime slices, that would look neat too.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sushi, lol, that reminds me of that commercial where the parents had to cut back on expenses so they ate the kids fish as sushi instead of going out, roflmao...

I found an awesome cup and saucer at Pier One on clearance. I'll hit McDonalds for some coffee stirrers this weekend and now I just have to figure out how to make sugar cubes. I suppose I'll have to find a ceramic or plastic spoon since metal is a no-no. I can't even use 18/10 stainless steel??

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm not sure it would work or even look good but you can maybe take aquarium sealant and mix in white sand to it, pack loose sand on the outside of the patty and cut in cubes patting loose sand on the outside? Or maybe take a dice or something (if it's safe) and cover with AQ sealer and roll it in the sand for sugar cubes?? -Again not sure if it would work but the food inspired themes sound fun :)

I like the rustic stove ornament too that was linked :D

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK. So this is what I ended up with. I am looking for small long drift wood that I can attach the floating java fern to and set those around the edges to create a plant wall to hide the heater and sponge filter. I am also looking for a non-metal spoon that I can stack the sugar cubes on.

The java moss is just in there until it goes in the spawn tank.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts