Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So this is actually about my smaller peppered corydora, Simon (of Simon and garfunkel). Four days ago he got stuck in one of the new leaves growing from a plant in the aquarium. Ive had both him and the plant for months and no issues before. I think he was stuck for at least 5 hours. Since then he hasn't been eating, can't seem to keep himself upright, can still swim forward but barely. He is still breathing and I have isolated him in my quarantine tank (the flow in the large tank kept knocking him over).

I don't know what to do. He doesn't seem to be getting better at all, but he is still fighting. I really don't want to give up on him. He had a popped eye shortly after I got him, and he made it through that. I've had him for over a year, but I'm wondering if keeping him alive is cruel at this point. What are your thoughts? And if you think he should be euthanised, is clove oil the best way to do it? I think I'll give him until the end of the week, but just want your advice. I don't want him to suffer. I love this little guy.

I've filled out the form but please be aware that for every question asking about my betta, I'm actually talking about Simon my corydora.

P.s. I know I have a lot of fish, 5 of the corys were rescues. I will be upgrading to a larger tank in the next few months.

I don't have any pictures of him since he got sick, but here are some pics of my tank and others.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What temperature is your tank?
80-82
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Yes, air stone
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
2 peppered corydoras, 2 albino corydoras, 3 green corydoras, 6 rasboras, one clown pleco, one betta, one ghost shrimp.

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Tetra
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Flakes
Freeze-dried?
Bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
2x daily. Very small pinch of both flakes and bloodworms for all fish. Occasionally algae wafers.

Maintenance:
Before your betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Weekly or after tests
What percentage of water did you change?
20%
What is the source of your water?
Tap water with conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?
API or aqueon water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm (I have driftwood)
pH: 7.0
Hardness (GH): unsure
Alkalinity (KH): unsure

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
Four days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Bloody sores on right side of body. Fins are bent and immobile
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Unable to swim, continuously falls over on back or sides
Is your Betta still eating?
No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Three days, tea tree extract from aqueon
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Yes, he had a popped eye about 6 months ago, but quickly recovered
How long have you owned your Betta?
Over a year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
No

1 - 2 of 2 Posts