Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thats so awesome! Haha. I actually like that a lot. If you really wanted to, you could paint the outside of the styrofoam so its not so plain. Good way to recycle styrofoam though! i'd rather see it as a DIY fishtank than floating around in our oceans :D

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats so awesome! Haha. I actually like that a lot. If you really wanted to, you could paint the outside of the styrofoam so its not so plain. Good way to recycle styrofoam though! i'd rather see it as a DIY fishtank than floating around in our oceans :D
I think it would be great for QT a new fish :D

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I like the idea but like mike said above couldn't it leak toxins? Is there a way to avoid that?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no idea so I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Based on scientific tests over five decades, government safety agencies have determined that polystyrene is safe for use in foodservice products. For example, polystyrene meets the standards of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the European Commission/European Food Safety Authority for use in packaging to store and serve food.

The Hong Kong Food and Environmental Hygiene Department recently reviewed the safety of serving various foods in polystyrene foodservice products and reached the same conclusion as the U.S. FDA
it also said

The Harvard study reported that styrene is naturally present in foods such as strawberries, beef, and spices, and is naturally produced in the processing of foods such as wine and cheese. The study also reviewed all the published data on the quantity of styrene contributing to the diet due to migration of food packaging and disposable food contact articles, and concluded there is no cause for concern for the general public from exposure to styrene from foods or styrenic materials used in food-contact applications, such as polystyrene packaging and food service containers
this doesn't answer if it's safe for fish or not, but you can always line the container or add a layer of aquarium sealant over the inside foam area.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would also worry about the stability... Styrofoam is really easy to break chunks off of so it could easily be destroyed by accident. But I guess if it were just an emergency temporary setup it would be cool!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would also worry about the stability... Styrofoam is really easy to break chunks off of so it could easily be destroyed by accident. But I guess if it were just an emergency temporary setup it would be cool!
I'd worry about that too, I'd think it would be fine for a small tank but nothing big.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
You can't trust Wiki
May do a little research as personally I like it lol would make a cool tank just have to be careful of course. Would probably find a way to line it though..

·
Registered
448 Posts
You could always line all the sides with glass and seal with aq silicone. Then put viewing ports on the sides. Also would add the ability to attach decor and what not.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Well I like the one view part of it. But if I were to attach glass to all the sides I might as well just do a whole new tank minus. Maybe could do the front in glass and the sides in plastic. Not sure if that would be cheaper.
Its a whole lot easier to just wait for garage sales and get them second hand lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts