Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is being offered up as a breeding quality giant HMPK. Feel free to point out anything at all so that I can learn from this photo. THanks!

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Well his dorsal fin looks a bit out of line from his caudal. The caudal fin looks to be longer at the top of it and the lower part of it should be more full. The anal fin looks fine to me. The standards say that it can either be a rounded anal or a pointed anal. In his case, he's got a rounded anal. I don't know if it's me, but one of his ventrals look smaller. I think it's how the picture was taken though.

He has very few flaws and IMO great breeding quality. Most of the things are minor flaws.

He is being offered up as a breeding quality giant HMPK. Feel free to point out anything at all so that I can learn from this photo. THanks!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think the saturation in that pic was edited, so his coloration may not be as vivid when you get him. (Just an observation, I edit lots of pics)

·
Super Moderator
6,144 Posts
Quality for giants are the same as regulars. So you want the front ray of his dorsal to be long and leaning forward. And you want the dorsal to be the same height as the caudal. His caudal has unequal ray branching and the webbing IMO is too narrow. You want the caudal to be a half circle - his looks a bit ...just doesn't look right. The edges of his caudal should be pointy - his is too round. You want an anal that leans forward as well. All rays should be firm and straight.

The above is an extreme judgement of show bettas - as you requested, for learning.

That guy is IMO too traditional for my taste. You will have a hard time improving his form. If you plan to breed, look for another guy and get your money's worth.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fantastic Indjo. Exactly what I am looking for. I look at it like this: I will be paying roughly the same amount for whatever I get. I want great color but don't want to sacrifice conformation to get it. I will keep looking...armed with my new knowledge.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree with the person who said the color looks over-saturated. The picture has been edited, you can tell by the blue saturation splotches in the background. I edit photos every single day for my job, I'm trained to look for things like this. xD anyone who feels the need to "enhance" their fish in PhotoShop IMHO is not an honest person, I'd steer clear of the breeder altogether as you don't know what you're really getting.

·
Registered
599 Posts

(From Joep of BettaTerritory, Netherlands)

A. Traditional Plakat
B. Asymmetrical HMPK
C. Symmetrical HMPK

Examples of Traditional Plakat:

(A) was bred by Rung Keereelang (Thailand), (B) and (C) were bred by Joep van Esch (The Netherlands)
Please note that this fish is an example and still exhibits points requiring improvement.

Examples of Asymmetrical HMPK:

(A) was bred by Rung Keereelang (Thailand), (B) and (C) were bred by Joep van Esch (The Netherlands)
Please note that this fish is an example and still exhibits points requiring improvement.

Examples of Symmetrical HMPK:

(A) Breeder unknown, (B) was bred by Jit Sin (Malaysia) and (C) was bred by Morris Gabriel (Singapore)
Please note that these fish are examples and still exhibit points requiring improvement.

You can get away with rounder edges if you are showing for Traditional HMPK, but not Asymmetrical/Symmetrical HMPK.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Wow, thank you KJ! I've wondered about the differences of the plakats and since I'm a visual learner this is wonderful!

Not that it's critical knowledge to me since I neither breed nor show bettas, but I do love learning what makes one fish closer to the standard than another.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
639 Posts
The Asymmetrical look more natural to me. the Symmetrical look somehow deformed...

Jeff.:)

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
The Asymmetrical look more natural to me. the Symmetrical look somehow deformed...

Jeff.:)
There is not right or wrong in opinion, but I think they look nice because they look like DTs wi one caudal because of the wide dorsal and wide anal.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did find, during my looking around, that the fish was not a bad speciman of the traditional plakat. He would need his anal fin improved upon as well as his branching/webbing in the caudal. I think that would be a tall order for a newbie to find a female to improve those!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts