Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my crown tail male in December. Ever since I got him, the tips of his fins have been curling a bit, but they seem to be more so now, including his pelvic fins which were less curled before.

(sorry for the blurry photos, he wouldn't hold still)

I don't think it's fin rot or biting since its been pretty static, but I'm not sure what it is or how worried I should be.

Here are my answers to the diagnostic questionnaire:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gallon (currently setting up a 10g to move him to)
What temperature is your tank? 76F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets in the morning and the evening + a freeze dried blood worm 2x per week as a treat.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner (I've ordered Seachem Prime from Amazon)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? (No, but I've ordered a test kit)

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fin tips have gotten curlier.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? His stops and starts seem less smooth, but that could just be me worrying. He's started occasionally resting on his silk plant which he didn't used to do. He seems to have the same high energy level. He frequently patrols and swims over towards me whenever I enter the room. He gets very energetic if I get close and he thinks he'll get food. When shown a mirror he flares and shows off a bit but is easily distracted and forgets about it until he sees it again.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I got him, but it seems to be a bit worse over the last few days.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him a month.

I'm setting up a new 10g tank for him which I plan to plant and I've ordered a water test kit and Seachem Prime.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
curling fins are from the hardness of your water. His health is fine and there is really nothing you can do. some people find fin curling unappealing but it will not effect his health at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I'm really relieved it's nothing more serious. I just got his new tank and I'm waiting on some supplies for the setup. I'll see if I can do anything to soften my water.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Before you start trying to alter your hardness I would suggest testing for GH/KH. You would need to purchase an additional test kit,
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13521

One improvement you can make immediately is to raise your temperature to 80-82°

I would also recommend feeding frozen bloodworms as a treat instead of freeze dried as they can contribute to bloating and constipation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts