Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question! I saw some amazing CTPK's online, and was wondering what would happen with a CTPK x CTPK? Would the line/fins just refine into the CTPK or get all wonky? What about a CTPK x CT or CTPK x HM? Genetics are fascinating...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Question! I saw some amazing CTPK's online, and was wondering what would happen with a CTPK x CTPK? Would the line/fins just refine into the CTPK or get all wonky? What about a CTPK x CT or CTPK x HM? Genetics are fascinating...
CTPK x CTPK = 100% CTPK.
CTPK x CT = 100% Long finned CT/Combtails.
CTPK x HM = 100% Long finned Combtails.

The general rule when breeding is long finned genetics are dominant, short finned genetics (plakat) are recessive. Crowntail is intermediar, which means the characteristics will show in the offspring regardless (in this case, reduced webbing to create combtails. Another example is broad dorsals and shorter bodies from the Doubletail gene.)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CTPK x CTPK = 100% CTPK.
CTPK x CT = 100% Long finned CT/Combtails.
CTPK x HM = 100% Long finned Combtails.

The general rule when breeding is long finned genetics are dominant, short finned genetics (plakat) are recessive. Crowntail is intermediar, which means the characteristics will show in the offspring regardless (in this case, reduced webbing to create combtails. Another example is broad dorsals and shorter bodies from the Doubletail gene.)
Alright, thank you! I'm thinking about purchasing an imported CTPK pair, the finnage is astoundingly intriguing to me..

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree. I saw a black copper CTPK pair, I've never fought myself so much on staying away from the buy it now button. xD

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I saw a black copper CTPK pair, I've never fought myself so much on staying away from the buy it now button. xD
On AB? I saw a few, and was like...Wow. Never seen a good looking CT cross until then. Waiting to hear back if the pair I'm after are still available (fingers crossed.)

·
Registered
599 Posts
A CT x PK = Longfin combtails with the plakat genotype, so breeding the best daughter from the offspring to the PK father will render CTPK.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well the ones from NineBettas are HMCTPK. Since the female has more influence on the form of the offspring, you should start with a homozygous HMPK male and a CTPK female. You'd get a small amount of PK with extra branching, probably not quite reaching HM, with web reduction. Take the female with the best branching and web reduction, and breed back to the HMPK male. The caudal would be improved but not perfect, so you'd continue to selectively breed until you have your HMCTPK. Unfortunately it'd require culling, culling and more culling.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the ones from NineBettas are HMCTPK. Since the female has more influence on the form of the offspring, you should start with a homozygous HMPK male and a CTPK female. You'd get a small amount of PK with extra branching, probably not quite reaching HM, with web reduction. Take the female with the best branching and web reduction, and breed back to the HMPK male. The caudal would be improved but not perfect, so you'd continue to selectively breed until you have your HMCTPK. Unfortunately it'd require culling, culling and more culling.

True about the culling, selective breeding is when I wish bettas had smaller spawns. Oh well, even without a full 180 spread I think they're stunners.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Im thinking of getting a pair of ctpks if i see them to breed.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Those ctpks on ninebettas page have been on there for a couple years. His site hasnt been updated since last july. I know he still breeds ctpk but none of the ones hes listed lately have been all that great.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those ctpks on ninebettas page have been on there for a couple years. His site hasnt been updated since last july. I know he still breeds ctpk but none of the ones hes listed lately have been all that great.
Yeah, Im not looking to get mine from him. Buying local.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts