Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I found this guy at Petco yesterday. I've never seen a butterfly betta like this before! Petco called it a bumblebee (which is probably just a gimmick name). However...I absolutely LOVE the look. What kind of genetics goes into play with developing a look like this? How would you describe the actual traits being exhibited? The body seems to be a coppery/golden yellow with black lining on the scales (would this be a dragon or pineapple?), and then the yellow fins + black butterfly edging. The tail I think is either a delta or half moon.

·
Super Moderator
6,275 Posts
TBH, I don't know how to specifically create that color. The color combo IMO, invovles certain mutation/s. By looking at the picture, I think genetically in consist of:
  • Copper dragon or black dragon
  • Black; as in melano black
  • Yellow should consist of NR and blond (here is the mutation - blond is supposed to hide black genes. However he shows dominantly black)
  • Butterfly (another mutation - normally one of the color band is white or clear. This guy has two colored bands)

I'm guessing you might get that combo if you pair him to a black copper (with dragon genes). Yellow fins should be passed on, but maybe not as intense. Similarly butterfly should also be passed on, but not necessarily two colored bands.

I believe it's easier to create mutations by breeding the said mutation. F1 may not produce the desired combo. But you should see it in F2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TBH, I don't know how to specifically create that color. The color combo IMO, invovles certain mutation/s. By looking at the picture, I think genetically in consist of:
  • Copper dragon or black dragon
  • Black; as in melano black
  • Yellow should consist of NR and blond (here is the mutation - blond is supposed to hide black genes. However he shows dominantly black)
  • Butterfly (another mutation - normally one of the color band is white or clear. This guy has two colored bands)

I'm guessing you might get that combo if you pair him to a black copper (with dragon genes). Yellow fins should be passed on, but maybe not as intense. Similarly butterfly should also be passed on, but not necessarily two colored bands.

I believe it's easier to create mutations by breeding the said mutation. F1 may not produce the desired combo. But you should see it in F2.
Wow, thank you for that! From doing a little research, it seems some people cross to Cambodians occasionally to keep yellows a little more intense? Sounds like a lot of crosses go into making this coloration!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he seems like a very fancy-looking black mustard betta (in color); so beautiful!
He does remind me a lot of the mustard gas bettas! I think that's why I fell in love with him. I remember being obsessed with them years and years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I found this guy at Petco yesterday. I've never seen a butterfly betta like this before! Petco called it a bumblebee (which is probably just a gimmick name). However...I absolutely LOVE the look. What kind of genetics goes into play with developing a look like this? How would you describe the actual traits being exhibited? The body seems to be a coppery/golden yellow with black lining on the scales (would this be a dragon or pineapple?), and then the yellow fins + black butterfly edging. The tail I think is either a delta or half moon. View attachment 1031300
Hes so pretty!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts