Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know their natural jumpers but what makes them jump?

Recently, I notice my betta tends to jump whenever I either try to open the lid during feeding time or whenever I put my hand on the lid? But before he didn't.
I find it cute but could it be he was trying to catch the food from my finger or motivated?

Is it good that he jumps?
What does it mean?
:hmm:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Most jump as a fear response.
Some jump to reach things (eg food) that is just out of reach and can learn to jump at the hand and try to take the food.
They can also jump to move from one puddle to another one

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh wow!
Is their any other way I can make my betta feel more comfortable?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Make sure your water parameters are decent with a test kit, make sure your temps are solid, and make sure he has a place to hide without much current, and he should be fine. Some bettas just like jumping more than others. It's a natural thing for them to do... they evolved in small puddles of water in rice paddies and have can breathe air for a short time so they can exist on land long enough to flop from one puddle to another in search of food.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My boys love jumping up for their food (especially if I'm a little late at feeding time,it's like they're saying 'hurry up!'),Mako and Piglet are the best ones at doing it,they really make the water splash,especially Mako because he's my big Plakat boy,both he and Piglet have grabbed my finger too,their little mouths feel like tiny,soft suction cups :p,they're so cute. :-D

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hiko is aggressive and lunges at everything. He probably thinks everything is food.

As for my other bettas, some of them do jump unprovoked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts