Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the two betta fish I've had the longest (a few months) both have curled ventral fins. They didn't have that when I bought them. One is in a 2.6 heated top fin tank, and the other in a heated 5 gallon tank (neither have filters, as I felt the filters were stressing them out). I do frequent water changes--every other day on both tanks. (1 gallon out of the 2.6, 2 gallons from the 5 gallon). I don't believe it could be fin rot with these types of water changes, but have read it could be due to a high PH.

What do you think? Basically the ventrals (one on each fish, funny enough the left on both fish) seem to have formed a "pocket" shape. Best I can explain it...I'll try to get pictures later, but currently my camera is dead. No other signs of any type of illness, other than that Novi decided to take a pie-shaped slice out of his tail some time last night...it's gone all the way up to the body. *Sigh.* They've both been getting stress coat and IAL for a few weeks now.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've been told that (high?) pH can cause curling of the fins. Do you know what the pH is? I haven't heard of curling harming the fish in any way. CT are also a bit more prone to that as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You also don't want to over due the water changes. Even in your 5 gal with no filter I think you're doing it too often. There is what the Oldfishlady recommendations say:

5-9gal without a filter
Once weekly 50% with vacuum-with 90-100% monthly

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, my boys aren't CTs, but I've heard that of CTs as well. My water pH is about 7.6ish, as high as my kit will test. I don't think it's much higher (if any) than that though.

Hmm, really? Well, I've been trying to help the 5 gallon boy regrow his fins, so I figured frequent water changes would help with that. Plus he's messy and tends to drop almost as much food as he eats (he has huge fins and tends to knock the food off the surface of the water and he's too lazy to dive for it. I've begun to refer to him as KING Gallifrey.) I have to try to feed him one pellet at a time. Anyway, he gets pretty dirty. I could lessen the changes if I have to.

Ok, just went and read her recommendations. I'll follow that schedule and see if that helps out. :) Thanks. I was aware of her post but hadn't given it a close enough reading since I figured what I was doing was okay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.