Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my betta spot for 6 weeks.
After week one i noticed that his top, bottom and front fins were being to curl.
I thought it might be fin rot so I got him some IAL and began water changes every other day.
Still got worse, so I began adding very small amounts of aquarium salt. Still got worse.

Nothings been working. So, I removed the carbon from his filter and started him on melafix.
Today was his last dose.:(

Sometimes he gets fin tears and they heal really well.

So i'm wondering if this is even fin rot!?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5g
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? His filter is two in one
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None. Just a marimo mossball named "Groot"

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega one
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? some treats
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime conditioner, tetra waste control and tetra cycle

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): 0
Alkalinity (KH): 0

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 5 - 7 days after getting him (got him on May 16)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? yes, he changed colour (marble) and his top and bottom fins have curled
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No, he's very active and always wants food.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Aquarium salt, water changes every other day and now melafix
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I got him May 16, 2017. He didnt appear ill but his top fin was slightly bent. First day picture will be included.

1st picture: image of the first day May 17th, 2nd may 30th and the last was June 10.
2nd picture: highlighted issues taken today
3rd picture: full image from today

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Since he's still active and behaving normally I'd just take a wait and see approach. If he becomes lethargic, or stops eating then it's cause for concern.

When my betta's fins did that he got lethargic, and wasn't too interested in food, he then developed fungus on the curled fins. His fins weren't curled like your boy's on him only the edges of the dorsal fin were curled.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Fin rot kills a fish in just over a week and your fish would've lost his fins long before now. I highly doubt that's the problem.

Unless there is growth on the fins, he's still eating and isn't lethargic I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: I did find a reference on another website, do you know how hard your water is? GH? It was mentioned that a betta's fin will curl if the water is too hard...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't worry as much if his top fin wasn't looking shredded in areas :(
but I guess I'll try the wait and see.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I wouldn't worry as much if his top fin wasn't looking shredded in areas :(
but I guess I'll try the wait and see.
You didn't mention shredded fins in your original post; at least I didn't see it. Although you did mention he'd had fin tears but they healed.

Curled fins have three basic causes:

1. Genetics
2. Hard water
3. Lived too long in a small cup so fins couldn't spread

Here's something on fin rot which might help you:
http://www.bettafish.com/99-betta-f...s/346377-lets-talk-fin-rot-vs-fin-biting.html

Fin rot does not kill quickly unless it has developed into body rot. Fish easily recover from fin rot unless the owner has allowed it to go on too long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oops sorry!!! I thought I had mentioned his shredding fins.
His top fin is lopped over and shredded. I haven't seen any healing on it. :(

His bottom fin was shredded and has healed and is now kinked up and has recently become discoloured (it's turned reddish in places, almost like veins. Its hard to know if this is an issue because he tends to change his colours)

I've had a tonne of discussions with people at different fish stores and online and no one has any idea what could be causing this. :( I'm so sad, I just want him to be ok.

(sorry for any communication/grammar errors, my computer is old and takes an hour to type a single letter -.- )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts