Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Posting this because I'm insanely worried about my new platinum white betta, today looking at him I noticed he has a red mark as if he's bleeding or scratched himself on the side of him? He never had this before, so this is making me panic. The other side he's okay,all white but this side he's not.

Does anyone know what this is? He's currently being housed in a Fluval Chi 5 Gallon. I believe he did not have this in the morning. The 5 gallon has driftwood, live plants, and some river rocks that are smoothed out.. Moss balls, and two sea shells I got from Pet Smart. The shells are slightly sharp.

Sorry about the 'yellow' water that's because of my driftwood.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Can you take pictures and embed theminto your post? It's hard to make suggestions without visible evidence. :)

ETA you posted one! Wow, did I miss that? Sorry!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Please fill out this form when seeking help for your Betta. This information and a clear photo posted directly into the thread will help us give you the most accurate advice possible. Without the information and photos the best we can do is guess.

Even if you're already answered many of the questions in text form you we ask you fill out the form so we will have a quick source of information.

And if you are answering a call for help please request this form be filled out. If you need more information ask in text; do not make any alterations to this form. If you have suggestions contact a Moderator.

Thank you,

The Betta Fish Team

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?: 5 Gallon
Does it have a filter?: Yes, it's a Fluval Chi
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? He temporarily has 2 cory's that I'm moving to a 20 gallon

Food:
What food brand do you use?: Omega One
Do you feed flakes or pellets?: Flakes...
Freeze-dried?: No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?: 2 Flakes a day. (Night & Day)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?: Haven't performed one yet, waiting for Gravel vacuum to come in on Monday so I can perform one and clean my sand.
What percentage of water did you change?: None
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?: Will be when I get my vacuum on Monday.
What additives do you use?: N/A

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Like to mention, I have a master test kit, today I tested pH & Ammonia and Nitrite, and everything seemed to be fine, I didn't write the numbers done but I am gonna re-test my levels soon.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?: Today, was not there in the morning.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?: He's platinum white, now there is a noticeable red scratch on the side..
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?: Hasn't changed, very active, and exploring everything he loves to explore.
Is your Betta still eating?: Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?: No, because I do not know what this is, I do not know if it's a scratch, parasites, etc.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?: Do not know, bought him a couple days ago online...
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?: 3 Days... Ordered him online arrived the other day, he never had this.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Because he is not acting sick, I do not think there needs to be any meds. You need to check those shells and see if they are the cause of the red scratches on his pectoral fin. If they feel sharp to the touch, I would remove them. Please be sure to keep his water super clean as the sores can cause stress for him and then he could get an infection. If You see anything start to develop than I would add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon dissolved in his tank water. Get a cup add the correct amount of salt, add his tank water, and stir it until it is dissolved, then add it to his tank water. But I would just watch the area first in case he is marbling.

There is a possibility that he is adding the red color to his coloring too. Beta sometimes change their colors. I just can't tell from the picture (even though it is a great picture) if he is marbling red or if those are actually sores...

We do need to know his Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate numbers to see if their is anything in those numbers to look at.

Anyone else have thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used Nutrafin Aqua Safe.

It's odd.. Because, after I fed him, it vanished?? At the end of his his tail though, you know the line? The one that the caudal fin is attached to.. It's like a pink straight line... And on his pectoral fin, there's a bit of red, only a bit... That's unnoticeable, none of that was there before I got him.

I have no clue what is going on.
And, I'll keep his water clean, just hoping that gravel vacuum comes in soon .. So I can clean all the sand, and everything else.
I do not know if he's changing color either, but since it vanished, I do not think so.. After he ate it was gone, besides the pink/red line, and the red spotting on his pectoral fin.. He's a very small male, so I assume he's still young, but very, very white, the water is just so brown because of the wood so it's hard to see him better.

:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts