Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the dreaded fish-in cycle with 2 bettas (im a bad fish mom, I know), dosing with prime regularly and testing my waters regularly as well. Thing is, my ammonia has been in the same spot for at least two weeks. I do a water change around .50-1ppm ammonia and so far no nitrates and no nitrites and I've dosed it with beneficial bacteria and I have a live plant (my first lol) which I hear are supposed to help. I've started to see some brown algae as well. Normally I would be patient but I have horrible luck with tank cycling and me and others on forums can never figure out why or what's wrong. any direction or advice as to help speed up cycling or if its normal for just ammonia to be testing for so long - would be helpful. :geek:

·
Registered
727 Posts
I always do the fish in cycling so that doesn’t make you a bad fish mom Or a lot of us on here would be classified as that.
First I never do the .50. I always do the 25 and water change at 25%. 50 ppm is just to much for the fish IMO.

If you are following the stabilty directions on the bottle you will see the brown algae stuff. Or at least I always do because with the live plants and putting the beneficial stuff in.

I Would try the 2 sentence cycling all over tutorial again. This time do the 25 instead of 50. I would also do right now to get the ammonia back to 0 is do a 50 water change and do it again the next day. Make sure you are using a gravel vacuum and not just dipping to get your ammonia done. Also use your prime everyday while you are trying to get it back to 0.

I had a tank that seemed to refuse to cycle and I found out I kept breaking the cycling process. so I started it all over once I got it back to 0 and it has stayed cycled.

Maybe someone else can give you more advice or correct me if I have said something wrong.

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
This should help if you're not already following it CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

I do a 25% water change a .25 ppm. As with Kat50, I have only done fish-in cycling. Really don't see the big deal that people make of it. If they understand how Prime works they should know the fish are never exposed to NH3 ("Free" or toxic Ammonia) but to NH4 (non-toxic Ammonium). They shame people with no basis in fact. :(

Shake the Stability real well and then sake some more. Double dose on Day #1 and single dose Days #2-#8. Also purchase a SeaChem Ammonia Alert. It will let you know whether you are seeing NH3 or NH4. The API test measures Total Ammonia. The Ammonia Alert differentiates. Even if the AA shows "safe," you still do the water changes if the API test reads .25 ppm Ammonia.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right! i’ve gotten complaints from people about doing fish in cycle, when i believe they can be done safely. right now my struggle is being both impatient and waiting for my cycle to start so maybe i’ll try with the more frequent water changes. thank you

·
Registered
727 Posts
right! i’ve gotten complaints from people about doing fish in cycle, when i believe they can be done safely. right now my struggle is being both impatient and waiting for my cycle to start so maybe i’ll try with the more frequent water changes. thank you
The LFS near me will tell people it’s quicker and better to cycle tank with fish and to use mollies because they are a hardier fish.
I get impatient also but I have found out with my last couple of tanks that I have cycled and is cycling now that the only difference in them being cycled and cycling is the water testing I do everyday compared to weekly and putting the prime in everyday. So when I do the water testing and the prime I just sit next to the tank and enjoy them coming up to me as I talk to them and watch them follow my finger. I also get a good examination of them making sure they look health.

so one thing is to enjoy and not worry ( be impatient) about the cycling it will come and enjoy. Another thing is I have learned to enjoy the water changes because I view it as their weekly shower and I love my showers. I know I’m odd but I live life as to find good and fun in things I have to do and find ways to enjoy it or keep in mind the benefits of it. Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm doing the dreaded fish-in cycle with 2 bettas (im a bad fish mom, I know), dosing with prime regularly and testing my waters regularly as well. Thing is, my ammonia has been in the same spot for at least two weeks. I do a water change around .50-1ppm ammonia and so far no nitrates and no nitrites and I've dosed it with beneficial bacteria and I have a live plant (my first lol) which I hear are supposed to help. I've started to see some brown algae as well. Normally I would be patient but I have horrible luck with tank cycling and me and others on forums can never figure out why or what's wrong. any direction or advice as to help speed up cycling or if its normal for just ammonia to be testing for so long - would be
I'm doing the dreaded fish-in cycle with 2 bettas (im a bad fish mom, I know), dosing with prime regularly and testing my waters regularly as well. Thing is, my ammonia has been in the same spot for at least two weeks. I do a water change around .50-1ppm ammonia and so far no nitrates and no nitrites and I've dosed it with beneficial bacteria and I have a live plant (my first lol) which I hear are supposed to help. I've started to see some brown algae as well. Normally I would be patient but I have horrible luck with tank cycling and me and others on forums can never figure out why or what's wrong. any direction or advice as to help speed up cycling or if its normal for just ammonia to be testing for so long - would be helpful. :geek:
Lmao no you’re not a bad mom. What kind of plant you have? I prefer to cycle my tanks with fast eating plants…like water lettuce, water sprite, or a nymph..slow eaters like Anubis takes too long. Have you tried testing ammonia on your water source? Just to make sure it’s not ammonia-chloramine in your tap. I think you said it hasn’t moved in 2 weeks. I could be wrong, but that came to mind after I read yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have tested my waters before, and i do have about .25 ammonia in my tap so that’s another thing. i have a small java fern in my tank. it seems to be doing well. but since i’ve posted this i tested my nitrites today and still nothing 🥲 i don’t know why my cycle is so stubborn. but also is frustrating how my ammonia never is truly low cause my water starts me out with .25 (which wouldn’t be an issue obviously if my tank was cycled)

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
"Also purchase a SeaChem Ammonia Alert. It will let you know whether you are seeing NH3 or NH4. The API test measures Total Ammonia. The Ammonia Alert differentiates. Even if the AA shows "safe," you still do the water changes if the API test reads .25 ppm Ammonia." From Post #3.

NH3 is "Free" or toxic Ammonia; NH4 is Ammonium which is non-toxic. The API test doesn't differentiate so you really don't know which you are seeing. The Ammonia Alert does so you do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts