Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So my Bettas have been having a rather rough time lately. I've got two new Bettas and I've been doing my best to keep things under control but now I'm almost at my wit's end.

First I'll start with Finn's tank. He's in a 2 gal tank with a 25w cobalt aquatics heater, and 3 watt lamp. He's been in the 2 gallon for 14 days now and I've been doing regular water changes and trying my best to keep the ammonia levels in check while the BB populate the tank. 6 days ago I added an Azoo HOB to the tank and packed it with mech, Bio, and a small amount of carbon media. Here are the various problems I've been facing over the past 2 weeks.

1. Ammonia levels - I've been changing his water every other day (sometimes more) to try and keep the ammonia in check but 4 days ago it spiked up to 2-4ppm and has since dropped back down to 0.5ppm. Note that I am aware that this is the likely cause of most of the following problems, but I have just assumed that they were uncontrollable due to the natural process that the nitrogen cycle goes through and have just been doing my best to keep it under extreme circumstances.

2. Betta Behaviour - Finn has been freaking out over the past 2 weeks. He is sometimes really relaxed but he gets into these fits of rage and "glass surfs" the same small area, trashing back and forth. Note that he is not flaring while he does this.

3. Finn's Fins - His Dorsal fin appears to be receding between the spines and I have no idea why, it seems like it has been this way since I got him. Then yesterday I noticed that he has a hole in his dorsal, and now today he has two! I have no idea if the holes are due to stress or if he has caught them on the prefilter I installed on the Azoo's intake.

4. White Hair Algae - This is the one that has forced me to come to you guys for answers. Today I noticed that there is white hair algae growing in behind the heater (both on the glass and on the heater) and I have NO idea how to deal with this. I don't want to scrub off any BB if I clean it but I have no idea if leaving it in there will cause harm to my tank's cycling process or to Finn. I really would prefer to get rid of it so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Now, on to Duke's tank. I've had duke a week now and he's doing very well. He's in a temporary 1 gal for the time being until I can afford to get him a larger home. My main concern is that 2 days ago I moved an ornament from Finn's tank over to Duke's to give him a place to hide and also to transfer over some BB to help deal with some of the ammonia. Today, I noticed that the ornament has a single white hair algae growing on it and am now worried that I am going to have the same issue in Duke's tank that I've got in Finn's. Again, I've been trying to keep the ammonium levels in check by doing water changes up to 3 times daily, but have not been successful.

My only theory regarding the high ammonia levels is that they are a result of me not vacuuming the substrate. I don't have a vacuum thingy and have no idea how to use one. I tried using a turkey baster to suck up my Betta's poop but I've been having a tough time finding the poop amongst the substrate as of late.

Any help with ANY of these problems would be really appreciated! I feel like I'm in wayyy over my head and am frustrated that all my efforts with daily water changes etc have yielded very few positive results.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NOTE!! THIS WAS POSTED IN THE WRONG THREAD. MODERATOR PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD!!!! I have posted this in the correct thread already, but I have no idea how to edit the original post!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.