Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so the beginning of February I set up a 10 gallon tank. I haven't cycled a tank since 2010 so I did some research and am using this guide.
http://www.tropical-fish-success.com/fishless-tank-cycling.html

When I filled it 1/4 of the water was water from my established 10 gallon, and I also ran the filter through the water. I added the ammonia and continued adding I am now letting it drop and it's at about 2ppm.

Why is my Nitrites and Nitrates not going up? My nitrites are at 0ppm and my Nitrates are at 0.5ppm and have been since day one. As I understand it my nitrites should be going up, but they are not. Is it normal for it to take this long? It's been a little over 2 weeks. It didn't seem to take my first tank this long. Am I doing something wrong? I test around 2 times a week. And I haven't changed my water at all.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Have you tried transplanting some substrate to get over this hump? Also what are your ammonia readings? The water column doesn't hold much of the beneficial bacteria.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I haven't. How would I put the substrate in there without it getting mixed into the other rocks?
My ammonia readings as of today were 2ppm

·
Registered
561 Posts
Cycling takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks. I'm not surprised your cycle isn't finished after only 2 weeks. Wait another 2 weeks and you should see steady nitrate levels. The nitrITE to nitrATE step is the slowest step of all.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it takes a while, but I thought I would have seen at least a little bit of Nitrites. Wasn't expecting much, but at least enough to know its working lol I will give it another week and if I don't see anything I will add some rocks from my other tank and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Did you let your ammonia get to 5ppm? That's the ideal level in terms of encouraging nitrites. Maintain it at 5ppm until you get some nitrites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts