Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I'm not convinced that test results are the only, or even the best, criteria for determining a water change schedule. There are so many other good reasons to make regular (weekly?) water changes part of routine maintenance.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-general-articles/regular-partial-water-changes-188641/

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-general-articles/total-solids-tss-tds-freshwater-aquarium-188697/

It is always good to take a reading just before changing water.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hallyx, I read the article on TSS and TDS, and I recently purchased a meter to measure TDS (haven't used it yet). Is there a level of TDS that, when it exceeds that number, that one should change the water? The article said that freshwater has less than 1500 mg/l, but should one let it get even that high? If the answer is in that article, I missed it... :question:

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Byron is addressing that issue in an overall sense, and applying it to pet fish in general. I try not to get too deep, because I mostly advise newer keepers.

RussellTheShihTzu is really knowledgeable on TDS. It would be great if you could ask her on the forum and have her answer recorded for future reference. This thread would be great for that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This thread is genius! I've never done cycling before, and Hallyxs' post really helped me! I have a male Betta and some Ramshorn snails and few plants in a 3 gallon tank. I just finished cycling it in 1 week! I'm so happy! Thank you so much Hallyx!
I have a few questions tho. Just to clarify things..
1. What if my filter cartridge broke and changed my filter, should I do the cycling again?
2. Should I test the water again every water change?
3. Would the water change if I add more soil and plants?
4. and I've read about the activated carbon, should I add some activated carbon inside my filter too? (I don't really know how it works. lol)

(You might have answered all of these questions. But I might have not understood it very clearly because I'm a newbie. and sorry for my english)

THANK YOU!

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
What are your readings right now? A week is a really short time for a cycle, even with bottled live bacteria.

I'm not sure how a filter cartridge can break. If you need to replace your cartridge because it's falling apart (that's the only reason to change media), you should run both the new and old media together in the filter (or close to it) for a couple weeks to transfer some of the bacteria.

No need to test after a change. But you might do it once or twice and see if you learn anything.

The water would remain the same. But with more plants in there, more of the ammonia will be removed by the plants and less by the bacteria.

I believe carbon serves no useful purpose in a Betta tank.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
right now? pH is 7.8.. Ammonia is 0ppm. Nitrite is 0ppm. Nitrate is 10 ppm. I tried to test it everyday since last thursday. and it has been the same ever since.. lol. I did a 30% water change yesterday tho. and I tested it earlier, and it's still the same.. but I have a little bit of a problem with my betta right now. lol. I just noticed that his fins are curling.. >_<

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Those are the readings of a cycled tank. That was really fast, partly due to the slightly high pH resulting from the water hardness/mineral content.

That hardness may be why his fins are starting to curl. Try some driftwood, or Indian Almond Leaf (IAL) or Rooibos tea to see if they tannins they release will lower your pH a little.

7.8 pH is not excessively high. Many members keep Betta for a long time at >8.0pH, in good health with no problems.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
Black water extract is bottled tannins, exactly what you need. It will turn your water tea or beer colored. It may look strange to you, but the fish love it.

Stay away from pH Up or Down products.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
That's the right stuff. In the meantime, keep up with your water changes.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hello hallyx, im following this guide with fish in cycle, just have a question, would i need to do gravel cleaning while its cycling?, there is also live plants in the 10g tank.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
A 10g tank will cycle almost automatically. Just do your normal routine 25% to 33% water change every week, including gravel vacuuming, and test for ammonia a couple times a week. Add Prime only if you see ammonia. But, then, a water change is called for.

Your tank will cycle and you may see little or no signs of it happening. That's one of the nice things about a 10g.

After the tank is cycled, if you decide to add snails shrimp or tankmates, follow the suggestions in the tutorial. Everything will go just as smoothly.

·
Registered
316 Posts
okay, should i stop adding prime then? is only been a week since fish is in there and ive added prime everyday just like the guide states.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
The Prime is to detoxify residual ammonia: the amount left after a water change, or the small amount that doesn't call for a water change, yet. A few drops every day doesn't hurt, and it removes stress from both the fish and the keeper.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey hally, i just did a test and ph was at 6.4 last week it was reading 7.2, and the nitates are still on 0, ive been doing gravel cleaning also, the test kit isnt faulty or old, what could be wrong?

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Test your tapwater pH at 12-hour intervals. Test the tank at 12-hour intervals.

Test your tapwater every week for a while. Sometimes the supply differs depending on circumstances that vary.

What stage is your cycle?

·
Registered
316 Posts
well im not sure its been running with the fish in there for 3 weeks now and 0 ammonia and no nitritre and no nitrates. does the flourish for plants effect ph?

121 - 140 of 154 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.