OK, you've made a convincing argument.
So say I want to get Azoo palm mini HOB filters for my tanks. (Because I know you're right - having a filter will improve the water quality in my tank, which in turn will keep my Bettas healthier.)
1) Will the Azoo palm mini HOB fit on a acrylic tank with a snap-on plastic lid (such as a critter keeper or one of those small plastic tanks that Petsmart/Petco sells)?
2) What else (besides the Azoo filter) do I need to buy? (plastic tubing? pump? etc? replacement pads?) Knowing this will allow us to buy everything at once.
Then, once I have it set up:
3) How often do I need to change the filter pads? How simple/difficult is this?
4) How often do I need to test the water parameters? Do I need to test ammonia, nitrates and nitrites?
5) What if someone doesn't own a testing kit? Can they just do, say 50% weekly water changes, and assume that the filter is making their water cleaner? (This goes back to your poll of how much people want to know about their tanks. Some people will want to do daily water testing, others won't.)