Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been several threads over cysts recently, and I think that's what is going on with one of my boys, but I wanted a second (or more) opinions!

This is my boy Easter:

The part I'm concerned with is the round growth to the left close under his eye. It doesn't look so bad in this picture, but from the front:

You can see it sticks out. Am I correct in thinking it is a cyst? I know dragonscales can get a scale buildup, but Easter isn't dragonscale. It does look hard and white, but, obviously, I haven't touched it.

Easter is currently in QT after being treated for a case of sudden and vicious fin rot with Jungle Fungus Clear. Keeping him in a small container with 100% daily water changes.

Could the fin rot and treatment have made him susceptible to a cyst forming? I know that Jungle Fungus Clear has ingredients that "cause cancer according to the state of CA." Could it have caused a tumor?

I read in the other threads that there isn't really a treatment. If it opens/falls off, to sterilize with Aq Salt. He is still eating and swimming so I'm not looking into euthanasia any time soon unless it gets a lot worse.

Thanks for your opinions! I wanted to post this before heading to work, so I skipped the care survey. If that is helpful I will put it up tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm hoping the lack of response means I am correct! For now, I'm keeping an eye on his growth. It hasn't gotten noticeably bigger. Once his fins get back on track I'm thinking of putting him back in his bigger tank (2.5).

Would it be better to keep him in the small QT with water changes every day? Will putting him back in his 2.5 with less frequent water changes exacerbate the growth?

There may not be a 100% answer to this, I know, but I thought I would ask!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Very sorry for the time it took to reply PanActress! Time zones arent always the same.

You are most likely correct it is a cyst. It's location you will need to watch of course, make sure he can still work his gills without obstruction and all that.
As long as he appears happy healthy and hungry there is no need to intervene. Just be sure of you ever see it rupture or come off entirely you give the tank a clean and add something to stave off infection.

There is no need to keep him in a QT tank since he is not infectious and has no need to be medicated or trouble swimming. he can go back home :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for taking the time to respond! After a week, I thought it couldn't hurt to bump it up again.

Great news about moving him back to his tank. He is going to be very happy about that. And I'm glad it's nothing worse, like some kind of disease. Hopefully he will be around a lot longer!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It actually looks like a pigmentation buildup, common on Dragonscales. It's in the same realm as a cyst basically but it's not growing from the inside out but rather building up on top of the fish. But yeah, Taeanna has it correct, the buildup can fall off and generally when that happens, they don't come back from it unfortunately. That said, he could live with this easily over a year or more depending on how fast it grows, that's up to his genetic makeup which we clearly can't really tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts