1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Looks like a koi to me...cause he sure doesn't look anywhere close to my dalmation.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I though... every Dal I have seen has been TWO colors, with small spots... some which are streaked... this boy is multi-colored with blotched spots...

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
That male would be considered a "Koi."

Though you all should know that "Koi" and "Dalmatian" doesn't really exist. They would all be considered Multicolored bettas. Koi and Dalmatian are both names that the original breeders gave them to make the fish buyers more attracted to the names and fish. It gives them and interesting name and usually the name sticks.

This is just like the "Mustard Gas" pattern and "Monster's" on AB. Mustard gas is just another name for a Multicolor and monster is also just another name for a marble.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I would say Koi. I actually don't mind him. His fins aren't perfect but his anal and dorsal are fairly close to matching up with his caudal fin. I hate when HM/SDs have long anal fins, it really detracts from the whole picture.

Looks like he will marble out a nice colour when he's older. I had a Koi pair of plakats and they marbled out really spectacularly from their original colours.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BettaLover:
I know, but as you said, the name's become so popular they "stick"

BettaSusa:
I haven't decided yet... he's a Delta, Im breeding for HM's and DTs right now.... but I DO love his colors and they match the colors of my HM female perfectly (but with more orange).... I would also need to go through a transhipper *GULP* and I have been REALLY nervous about that so far....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say Koi. I actually don't mind him. His fins aren't perfect but his anal and dorsal are fairly close to matching up with his caudal fin. I hate when HM/SDs have long anal fins, it really detracts from the whole picture.

Looks like he will marble out a nice colour when he's older. I had a Koi pair of plakats and they marbled out really spectacularly from their original colours.
I hate it to :-/ my worry is the warp look on his caudual near his anal, though Im guessing that is probably more of an injury/from water conditions?
Would you say he is a Delta or a SD?

·
Registered
197 Posts
well, you learn somehting everyday BL. I always wondered what was so different about them. I thought monsters were suppose to be bigger or somehting.

If i have obsserved properly, I would call that a multicolored marble. He is very interesting.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just put him on your watch list just incase.. :)

Already done... and I emailed the seller... there is only a day left of bidding so.... *sigh*

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
BettaLover:
I know, but as you said, the name's become so popular they "stick"
As true as this is, it doesnt change the fact that of their true color category.

I dont know if I have come to seeing the Marbles certain multicolors as Koi just yet. I still call the mustard gas HMPK that I just got a mustard gas because I have heard of it for so long and it just sounds right.

It all depends on the person's thoughts.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've always thought of bettas with his coloration/markings as Koi's.... but thats what I heard them called before I knew anything about it being a breeders specific "title".... but I guess technically he would be considered a mulit-colored marble
Would you say hes a Delta or a SD?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
LittleBettas, if you do end up buying him, believe it or not, the transshipping is a breeze, especially if you choose a good transshipper. Jennifer Viveiros is incredible and really nice, and I've heard awesome things about Linda Olson.

edit: I personally would say somwhere in between a SD and D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LittleBettas, if you do end up buying him, believe it or not, the transshipping is a breeze, especially if you choose a good transshipper. Jennifer Viveiros is incredible and really nice, and I've heard awesome things about Linda Olson.

edit: I personally would say somwhere in between a SD and D
Lol, the idea of using a transhipper has actually stopped me from purchasing a FEW bettas.... sooner or later I know Im going to need to jump over the hurdle...
Jennifer is closest to me... have you used her prior?
Would you say the issue with his Caudual is just an injury/how it grew or would it be a genetic thing?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I will vouch for Linda Olson. She's super nice, held my hand through the buying/shipping process, and takes fantastic care of your fish for the short time she has them. I was nervous, too, but the whole thing was a breeze, and my boys got here looking fat and happy. ;)

And whatever you call that guy...he's gorgeous. :-D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.