Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both Dame and Sire are first time parents.

17/08 (8pm) Introduction
(10pm) Female looking eager to join the male. Lights out.

18/08 (2pm) Female is released. They immediately hit off. No chasing, no nipping. Usual flaring and dancing.

(6pm) Female was in a corner scared, I missed what happaned. I put the female back in the jar.

(8pm) Bubble nest was completed, female was released again.

(9.30pm) First attempt to embrace. Female got scared the first time and didn't want to repeat it. Male got frustrated and chased her furiously for about 20 seconds. The female managed to hide so I decided not to interfere. Lights out.

19/08 (8am) The bettas embraced. No eggs were released.

(10am) Successfull embrace with eggs being released and fertilised.

(3pm) Male started to furiously chase female. Female removed.

Now it's another waiting game.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning I panicked. Couldn't see any eggs in the nest but the male was still guarding it so I let him be. Now I'm back to see a few, my guess is he hid most of them under the bubble wrap. The nest is scatering slightly in the outskirts of the bubble wrap but growing under it. Will take pictures later and add.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
21/08 (12.07am) - I see tiny tiny babies inside the eggs! Being overlooked by the proud, albeit exhausted, dad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
21/08 (9am) - Fry are still inside de eggs, visible with the naked eye. I have the sensation that not as many as before but might be just my paranoia.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
21/08 (11pm) The fry have hatched.

I think I see about a dozen but they are so tiny and the bubbles so big they hide pretty well. At some point I saw at least 6 sinking to the bottom. Dad was so busy picking them up that he didn't even bothered flaring at me. He just turned away and kept his endless job while I observed. He needs a great treat as soon as he is done so we are upgrading his aquarium

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many would you guess?

Very small water change today. About 10% only. Will test the water later today and do more if needed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
23/08 (11pm) Free swimming! Daddy was taken out. Had their first meal.

Feeding them every 6 hours, very little amounts.

24/08 (9am) Saw tiny tiny worms not visible with the naked eye in the tank. Had to use a professional x10 to see the babies better but could see tiny specks through it so went and got a x100 in my phone to check them out. I freaked out. Though this is it they all gona die. Researched the crap out of it. Found nothing like it. The camera won't focus enough but its the longest white dot.

24/08 (5pm) still looking at them interacting with the worms. Finally saw them eating one. I was finally relieved until I told my bf. Now he is asking what if they are parasites? Here we go I'm freaking out again...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This morning I decided enough was enough. Instead of trying to pipette all the dirt out of my fry thank i was simply going to transfer the fry with 10% of their water and 90% of aged water into another "tank". I had counter 44 fry, I assumed I missed about 20 so I was expecting it would be alot easier to transfer the fry than to try and get rid of the dirt. How wrong was I... 5 hours later job is done, I hope. Counted 301 fry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congratulations on your fry!

I can't imagine 5 hours of pure tank cleaning/transferring the babies. OI! It's been a hot minute since I have had to do long fish maintenance like that. It'll be so worth it once you get to see all of your little fry babies all grown up.

Fingers crossed you get lot's of healthy fry and no issues. I look forward to seeing more pictures as the fry age. :smile2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you so much for posting this journal. Some of us would not have the opportunity to see this. Good luck.
It's also good for me to keep track :) so far the biggest note is how absolutely great the dad is. Hasn't been with the fry for days now but still making bubbles

1 - 20 of 39 Posts