Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you know any dangerous ornaments, post them here. Give a pic and the reason why it's dangerous. This will be like a dangerous ornament list

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't have a picture of it being dangerous in my tank, unless the hydrogen peroxide bath I put it in worked (50% water and 50% hydrogen peroxide). If it didn't then I'll be sure to put it in this post.

PennPlax Skull Gazer

In my experience with it a quarter inch of white-ish slime covered the whole thing within a few days. In another member's experience it even killed her fish!

this photo is from Skyewillow's post

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yikes! Really sucks people are selling things with dangerous chemicals or whatnot. Makes me nervous to put anything that isn't plain ole clay.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Bought this ornament from the same store. I don't know who makes it (the tag is gone), but I decided after the Suzaku Tragedy to soak it... Pulled it out of the water an hour later to check it... it smells like wet latex paint! Really people?!

·
Registered
271 Posts

I have heard multiple accounts of this having a metal wire in it that will GUT their fish if they lay on it. I've obviously never bought it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This Balinese Lantern was on sale at my Petsmart so I grabbed it. After being in a 1gallon (the tank one of my girls was in temporarily) for about 24 hours, the water had a strange oily substance floating on top and it smelled like burning plastic. It was so bad, and so strong when I took the Lantern out it gave me an immediate headache. I'm so thankful my girl is okay. I had given her a 100% water change afterward, and she didn't get sick at all. But it was still gross and terrifying and I have no idea what caused it. I did rinse it in warm water first like you're supposed to with all new decorations, and it was fine when I put it in. But the smell was horrific. And that oily substance was floating out of the holes of the lantern too. I threw it right in the trash.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I noticed the same thing to me it smells like spray paint. I am noticing in the upper reaches of hollows of décor you can smell a spray paint smell I have several pieces that I soaked mostly made by Penn Plax that have the smell in the hollows but no where else. I am filling the hollows with AQ silicone and I am allowing to cure and will soak again to see if I still smell it. I left a message with Penn Plax describing the problem yesterday. I will post here if I get a reply.

Bought this ornament from the same store. I don't know who makes it (the tag is gone), but I decided after the Suzaku Tragedy to soak it... Pulled it out of the water an hour later to check it... it smells like wet latex paint! Really people?!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
they gave me a reply to my email about the skull:
Dear Ms Ryan

Thank you for your e-mail. We are deeply sorry for the loss of your pet and we sincerely apologize for all the trouble this incident has caused you and your son.
I can assure you that all our products have a high quality control check before they live our premises, however we are performing a through quality control check on this product to see if in fact there is any substance that could be the culprit and may have caused the inconvenience you mentioned in your e-mail.
We are also communicating with the factory to have them review the components used in the making of this product. I can assure you that we will go to the extremes to make sure this does not happen again.

Have a wonderful day and Best Regards
Elizabeth Wilson
[heavy sarcasm] I'll be sure to have a fabulous day because my fish is dead!! Thank you! [/heavy sarcasm]

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have had countless ornaments from penn plax where the paint has bubbled and started peeling off, I am getting to the point that I am only using driftwood and rocks for decore, or coating anything i buy with some krylon fusion clear coat

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Even with Driftwood, you have to be careful. People tend to just pick wood up and sell it, without even knowing what it is.

We had a piece in the tanks for a year, and when my fiance broke it to use a piece in the shrimp tank he wanted, it started poisoning the shrimp. Turned out to be pine!

·
Registered
215 Posts
In regards to the Penn Plax Skull

Since I've soaked it in the hydrogen peroxide bath I haven't seen the layer of slime yet. It's barely been over a day, but after I tried the vinegar bath the slime had already started coming back. I'm hesitantly taking this as a good sign.

Hannibal (my baby betta) loves the batta hammock I got him. The wire is on the bottom and doesn't stick out if the top at all. I feel safe letting him have it. The problems listed seem (to me) to have been defects. If you want one of suggest examining it before putting it in your tank and return it if you don't feel safe. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I have the hammock, too. It will be safe and mostly useful to some fish as long as you take the wire out; that's what I did.

The skull looks like it's actually covered in watery blood. D: I wish PennPlax can just lose business.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
PennPlax makes good, cheap thermometers, but that's about all they're good for lol.

Any decoration that doesn't pass the panty hose test (run a pantyhose all over the dry decoration, if it snags at all it could snag on fins) is dangerous and potentially damaging, especially to males with long fins. There are too many to list!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the hammock, too. It will be safe and mostly useful to some fish as long as you take the wire out; that's what I did.

The skull looks like it's actually covered in watery blood. D: I wish PennPlax can just lose business.
I'll see what I can do about the wire.

The red skull isn't mine, but Skyewillow's. Mine isnt painted red. It still seems ok for now.

·
Registered
106 Posts

I have heard multiple accounts of this having a metal wire in it that will GUT their fish if they lay on it. I've obviously never bought it.
I just checked on mine, just in case. The stem isnt showing any metal, but the very tip where it goes into the suction cup it is sort've exposed. Rust danger? Im getting some sealant for it.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Stone does the paint odor go away with the Krylon clear? Are you soaking the ornaments after you coat them?
I'm interested in this too. Got home from the store to pick up tank supplies, and my giant's castle smelled funny too! Ugh!

1 - 20 of 421 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.