Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1433 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Here's what I do:

When I notice new bite marks in Mace's fins, I dose his water with AQ salt that day, and then I wait a few days and dose again. Lucky for me though, Mace isn't a horrible fin-muncher. And then once a month, during their water changes, I dose with AQ salt.

Your two boys seem to be a bit worse about it, so I'd go with a week's worth of treatment. :3

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I'd use the measurement that you posted and do that daily for a week? Then do a water change? I guess when I do it, it will seem a bit easier.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
When I do it, I do water changes with each new dosing. Otherwise, in my opinion, you get a salt build-up in the tank.

So, on the first day, ready a gallon of water (I use an empty milk jug) with conditioner and AQ salt, then empty a gallon from your tank and replace it (for the 2.5 gallons). For the 5 gallon, do the same, but dose the 1 gallon of water for 5 gallons (I hope that made sense >w<). Then, once the week is up, do a big water change to clear the salt out of your tanks.

Hmm...do that every other day, actually. Your boys look like they have some nice regrowth going on, based on those pictures. Plus, this will make the process a little less stressful for you. c:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok, so do a dose every other day, with a fresh gallon of water every time I dose. And do a 100% wc every other day? Or just do the 1 gal. With salt every other day and at the end of the week do a big tank cleaning? Sorry! :lol:

Yes my boys do thankfully have some nice regrowth! I'm so glad this will help!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sitting here waiting for my mint tea to steep I thought I'd catch all of you up on what exciting things went on today.
I have been wanting a new tank for Oscar so I'll be able to get better pictures (Aqua Bow has bowed glass -.-) so today I had a Dr. appointment in Weatherford and decided to go in Pet Smart at take a looksie at the 5 gal. tanks wanting one like Dangerous'. Thinking there weren't any 5 gal. I settled for the next best thing, a 5.5, on sale for $29.99!!! I got a new hide for him too! I also saw 2 Bettas that I liked. A CT, and an EEHM! I even saved a little blue VT from ick. I got the attention of a worker and she took him back. Hopefully something will be done.
So I got Oscar's new tank set up and running, and got t he old one cleaned and put away.
Here's the new setup just before I put Oscar in it.
20150504_201534.jpg
I almost didn't have enough gravel! :shock:
I'll give you pics of him in it tomorrow, he was very stressed, he got pale and had some stress stripes. Poor thing.
I got him in the tank and he started zipping around all excited and happy, exploring his new surroundings!
And tomorrow I have a 50% WC for Angel and Chili and a new dose of AQ salt.
Sorry the picture is a little crooked. I have his tank near the ground by my bed on the shelf, so it was a bit hard to get a straight picture.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So it's been about a week since my AQ salt start with angel and Chili. Chili's fins look great, but I haven seen no improvement on Angel's (but no new bites). I'm just going to clean their water and let time and clean water heal the rest. Dangerous is getting a wc tomorrow, he needs it. I just can't wait until Friday. I got some dark blue and red rocks to mix for his tank yesterday. I'll post pics tomorrow!!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you. I really do. I think they're the best thing that's happened to me in a while.
So just an update on Angel, last night he gave me a big scare, I went into my room about 2:30 am after doing my hair and looked at him first and noticed he was very bloated, I saw something on his stomach thinking it was just constipation. Just in case I grabbed my flashlight and examined his belly and it appeared a bit grey. He was having trouble swimming and looked like he was in pain, so I grab my phone to see what I need to do for dropsy, and make a mental list of things I needed to get. After a bit I go back over to him and he's still bloated, and I'm getting very worried. After about 15 more minutes I go back over to him and the bloating is completely gone and he's back happy and swimming, I look in his tank and find a nice sized poop. I'm fasting him today just to be safe but he's back to his old self!! Him not feeling/acting right was just constipation, not the water or anything more serious! *whew*

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Me too, I was very worried!

·
Registered
258 Posts
They are great. I don't blame you for falling in love :) I did the same a week ago Monday when I found my new female Ember. You can't have just one...at least I can't. I love them too !

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Chipsahoy and Zippy!
I know what you mean, I remember someone saying Bettas are like potato chips, you can't have just one. So true! :lol:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
So I had another bloating scare with Angel last night (perfect timing sweetheart NOT!) and realized once again it was constipation. I've decided to feed him what I normally do only every other day to see if that will help. I wish I could feed him something that would help but he won't eat it. He only eats his pellets (which I am glad about, but you know)

My new baby is settling in nicely, getting some more color, and enjoying his new tank set up. I just finished a 50% wc today since he has no filter. I'll be doing that everyday just to be sure until I can get one in. Sucks stores don't sell them...

I got Oscar's tank all clean yesterday and added more rock and another big plant. I love the look of it. Pictures to come! (I also killed the corner on my knee of the corner of his tank when I was getting ready to move it to the bathroom for cleaning. I have this huge ugly bruise now...:/ )

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Had a busy day with the tanks today. I got Angel put back into his hex tank, and he has calmed down a lot, I think the move was too much for him, which caused him to nip, I hope now he will let them grow back out. I switched his filter with Eclipse's filter and it's working great. I'm getting a smaller air pump for Eclipse tomorrow to reduce the turbulence and his stress, and I hope that will help him stop nipping.
Also am getting more plants for Chili as his tank has very few of them! Dangerous is very happy, so is Oscar. Here's Angels new set up (I hope to get a new small hide tomorrow as well for him) I even caught him yawning!!
11140271_1437971976506945_1332492853784277757_n.jpg

As a side note, I'd like to tell you about these

I put them in Eclipse's tank because he liked the colorful rocks in his gravel and thought he'd like a few more, when I did a wc today I noticed an oily film and weird smell in the tank/and decor, and took a whiff of the little rocks and realized that's what was causing it. Also when I put them in for the first time they released these plastic fibers that worried me as well. I did get them out after I re-rinsed them.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
573 views! That's awesome! Thanks for showing interest in my boys!

I got Eclipse into a 1.7 hex tank, with a tiny sponge filter and heater. The first few days were rough, he was bloated and lethargic, hanging at the bottom breathing heavily. I thought he wouldn't make it. But alas yesterday he perked right up and is feeling better than ever. I think his first few weeks with me were hard, constant 100% water changes, along with 50% water changes every other day due to AQ salt treatment. On top of that switching tanks 8469147 times. Poor thing. He gets 3 OO pellets twice a day, I might start fasting him once a week to beat the bloat. I'm doing 50% weekly water changes and 100% every 2 weeks to remove the poop, because he seems to like to poop in just the right places where the siphon can't get to. Same with Angel.
Angel is doing pretty well, I think I'm starting to see his Butterfly pattern in with new fin growth. But I've had to put up some paper to block his view of Dangerous. Mr. Flare LOL!
Dangerous among all of this messing around with Angel, Chili, and Eclipse has made him a touch sad, so I went out Friday to Pet Smart and bought him some plants and decor. One didn't make it in because it was too tall, and the other plastic grass flat caused some unusual film at the top of the water. I did a 100% wc and tank scrubbing yesterday and today did a 95% and added more gravel and rearranged everything. He seems to like it! One of the plants I think poked holes in his Anal fin, and now he has a nice HUGE tear on in. Not a huge deal. It could have also been his flaring that caused it.
Chili got his new plants in and set up, it seems he likes them! He has started nipping again, I see frayed parts so I'll be dosing him with Bettafix this week to see if I can catch it early.
Oscar is getting a WC next week, I'm moving some plants around and adding some new ones to make his tank more 'forest like'
Enough chat, Let's see some pics!
Dangerous in his new digs:
22507_1439461556357987_1916745581606641714_n.jpg
I just thought this was adorable!
11225382_1439461656357977_4065287381352773369_n.jpg
Hide 'N Flare with Angel:
10343525_1439461519691324_4680229618757162697_n.jpg
Chili in his barrels:
11391321_1439461623024647_5293752667025226408_n.jpg
Oscar checking out something off to the side:
11232351_1439461633024646_5446940098588305046_n.jpg
Eclipse today feeling better saying hello:
11351247_1439461569691319_2847526257198127822_n.jpg
Showing off the blue tints in his scales:
11232277_1439461583024651_8211998736020337438_n.jpg
Is it possible for a Betta to be a cross between a Mustard and a Chocolate? Eclipse has a black border on the tips of his fins, Blue hues in his fins, and a brown body with blue tints.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey, congrats! You deserve all of the views!
Awesome fish.. awesome tanks...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thank you so much Dragon!!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Like I promised in the yay thread, pictures of Oscar's new tank setup! I would have gotten it up yesterday but I cleaned Angel, and Eclipse's tank and was dead tired after I finished. I'll get pics of theirs after we get back from church and I clean the Bettafix from Chili's tank.
So without further ado, Oscar's tank!
20150606_174243.jpg
Part 2 coming later this afternoon!

21 - 40 of 1433 Posts