Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok! Lawrence the fish is now well situated into his new home! He started to get more exercise, and he now has decided to sleep inside his little spongebob house! The other day, I added 6 zebra danios to the tank. We did have a minor episode though. When I untied the bag for the danios to enter the tank, the water level in the bag was much higher than the tank and when the water rushed out, one of the danios was swimming forward and fell out onto the shelf. Fortunately for him, I had a piece of scrap paper right there and I scooped him up and plopped him in. Lawrence did not like the, at first and chased them around the tank. Then, one of them tried to eat Lawrence's sinking pellet and instead brought it right next to Lawrence by mistake. When he let go, Lawrence ate the pellet and looked at the danio as if to say "Thank you for bringing me my dessert!" Now, the danios and Lawrence get along fine! Please reply with your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Well it depends on your tank size but it seems to be a 10 gallon, I think? If it's smaller than a tank that is at least 36 inches long, I would remove the Danios and bring them back. There are two reasons for this:

1) Danios are extremely active fish and want to swim back and forth all day long. This is going to stress Lawrence out no matter what you do, it's just their nature.

2) Danios are colder water fish much like goldfish. They like about 70 degree water where your Betta needs 80 degree water. So the temperature needs are very different. Danios being in a higher temp will mean a quicker death for them as their metabolism speeds up.

Those are my thoughts, instead try some small Tetra's like Glowlight Tetra's (NOT GloFish), Neon's or Ember Tetra's if your area has them. They're much more peaceful, won't bug and annoy your Betta so much and the water chemistry requirements are more or less the same which leads to a happy tank! :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Agreed

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had 3 danios with my betta before, it went horribly bad. At first for about a week they seemed fine then all of a sudden the danios started eating my betta's tail to almost nothing so I wouldn't keep them in the tank

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Excellent point. While it may be "working" now, these fish live for years, so it's really to soon to say that it is working. Thing work until they don't....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did your betta's tail return?

??????:shock:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... It has been 2 weeks since I put them in so I will tell you if something happens... The temp is actually around 76... My signature is outdated and I have a better heater now... Can you tell me where I can change it?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
You can change it by clicking "User CP" (control panel) and then on the left hand side there is a list of things you can do, click on "Edit Signature" and that's where you can edit it.

I would still return the Danios or find a good home for them. I know you like them but they aren't going to be good for your Betta and the lower temperature isn't either :-( you can't really compromise with temperature ranges unless they overlap which these don't very much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had Betta and Danios (Glofish) together before, got together quite well. Now, I have a Betta with 1 Glofish and 5 Black Neon Tetra's and everything is going swimmingly. I guess it all depends on you're betta's personality.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I was told when I started that danios were a good tank mate for betta. It did not go well. They really bothered my betta when the danios got older. At feeding they steal his food and nipped at the fins. I found panda and pygmy corydoras to be much better tank mates.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Danios are very active and can stress out your betta. I would return them.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I've had Betta and Danios (Glofish) together before, got together quite well. Now, I have a Betta with 1 Glofish and 5 Black Neon Tetra's and everything is going swimmingly. I guess it all depends on you're betta's personality.
There are always exceptions.

Too, I've found that people have different views on what it means to be "working". Some people think things are working great for them despite the bullied, sick and dying fish in their tank. I've seen it. For other people, one little chase and a nip means it's not working. "Working" is relative to ones goals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts