Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 4-ish
Does it have a filter? It does now, but it did not before when this started.
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? Sorry, I don't know. around room temp.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Marimo Moss Ball.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon Betta Food
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? don't know
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Daily 3 pieces

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Half tank weekly, Full tank monthly
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Siphon pump hose
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Aqueon Water Conditioner
Before noticing discoloration we briefly tried using Imagitarium Activated carbon pellets & zeolite crstal mix. I menion this because the pellets and crystals are a similar color to the discoloration on the fish.

Water Parameters: Sorry, I Don't know
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers.
"Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Don't know.
Nitrite: Don't know.
Nitrate: Don't know.
pH: Don't know.
Hardness (GH): Don't know.
Alkalinity (KH): Don't know.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About a month ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? From solid red to having a dark discoloration around rear/bottom
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1.5 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi there AlanC,
Sorry you’re having some trouble.
First I’d like to tell you the carbon is meant for your filter, it is a bit dusty so I give it a little rinse to get the dust off before I put it into my filters, really it is considered chemical filter media because it purifies the water. It will also pull any medication out of water so if you treat your fish with meds the carbon has to go. It looks like your boy has a bacterial infection to me but before you do any medication for whatever is going on you need to first fix whatever water issues you’re having.
you Just put a filter in right? Well now everything is trying to balance it’s self out again. I encourage you to research cycling a tank and the importance of biological media. Some really great articles out there that can explain it better than I can.
you need a heater, a thermometer and a water testing kit. You can treat your fish when they are ill, but if you don’t fix what made him Ill in The first place, it will continue to happen. It could be something as small as the water is too cold to something big like ammonia or nitrites in your water (need a water testing kit for that) when you do your 100% water change monthly do you rinse the tank out in tap water? Gravel and all? I used to do that too... until my mom realized what I was doing and gave me the beneficial bacteria talk lol. Chlorine from tap water killed my good bacteria cycling in my tank every time I cleaned it like that. As far as your boy’s weird black mark and shiny whatever is on him I’d like to get a second opinion from the members here about it being bacterial and not parasites or fungus. Sometimes these symptoms show up because of an external parasite and the bacterial infection happens because he now has an open wound that got infected.
so it’s always important to start at the beginning with your water and then move on from there with treatment. That’s just my opinion though. I’m sure others will have a good routine they can type out on how to actually treat your fish with medication.

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
With your water change schedule I'd be very surprised if you have an issue with the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, but it wouldn't be the first time I've gotten surprised. Is there a reason that you are doing 100% water changes? They really are not necessary in a tank that's your size unless you have something major going on like an algae bloom, or you are going a month or two not doing water changes. If you are vacuuming the tank, and doing 25 to 50% water changes once or twice a week then the 100% changes are not necessary besides the fact that they stress the fish out since you have to catch him and remove him from the tank. The reason I'm bringing it up is that while your boy is sick you want to stress him as little as possible.

How warm is the room his tank is in? If it's below 78 degrees at any point of the day or night, then he needs a heater. Either an adjustable one, or a preset one that turns off once the water reaches the preset temp, will be fine. Again, I have a reason for bringing it up, while he's sick he needs the best possible temperature to help both his immune system and metabolism. If the water is cool their immune system suffers and metabolism slows down.

You mentioned that you just got him a filter, what type of filter is it? Does it have an intake tube or any clips, that he could have gotten caught on? Did he get the wound before or after you added it? I've had a betta rip his fins off on the intake tube of the filter. I'm wondering if he got wounded on the filter somehow and it's gotten infected. I could be way, way, off base though.

That looks like body rot, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what might have caused it. Luckily you are in the U.S. and have access to fish antibiotics which you are going to need to treat him. I'd go with a combo of Kanaplex and Furan-2. It's a bit harsher then I generally recommend, but since whatever is going on is at the base of his tail, on both sides, I don't know how much time you have to try them separately while giving him a week off in between to recover from the effects of the first. The combo of both treats both gram negative and positive bacteria, and the combo is said to wipe out colomunaris where one or the other won't do so alone. When using any meds make sure to remove the carbon from your filter, of you don't the carbon will remove the medicine from the water.

I hope your boy recovers! He's gorgeous and you take excellent care of him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response. I't probably gets below 78 degrees at night. I'll get a heater and water testing kit. I am using the Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag filters along with the pump that came with the new tank. I didn't realize that doing a 100% clean was a problem. I'll stop doing that.
I appreciate your advice.

Hi there AlanC,
Sorry you’re having some trouble.
First I’d like to tell you the carbon is meant for your filter, it is a bit dusty so I give it a little rinse to get the dust off before I put it into my filters, really it is considered chemical filter media because it purifies the water. It will also pull any medication out of water so if you treat your fish with meds the carbon has to go. It looks like your boy has a bacterial infection to me but before you do any medication for whatever is going on you need to first fix whatever water issues you’re having.
you Just put a filter in right? Well now everything is trying to balance it’s self out again. I encourage you to research cycling a tank and the importance of biological media. Some really great articles out there that can explain it better than I can.
you need a heater, a thermometer and a water testing kit. You can treat your fish when they are ill, but if you don’t fix what made him Ill in The first place, it will continue to happen. It could be something as small as the water is too cold to something big like ammonia or nitrites in your water (need a water testing kit for that) when you do your 100% water change monthly do you rinse the tank out in tap water? Gravel and all? I used to do that too... until my mom realized what I was doing and gave me the beneficial bacteria talk lol. Chlorine from tap water killed my good bacteria cycling in my tank every time I cleaned it like that. As far as your boy’s weird black mark and shiny whatever is on him I’d like to get a second opinion from the members here about it being bacterial and not parasites or fungus. Sometimes these symptoms show up because of an external parasite and the bacterial infection happens because he now has an open wound that got infected.
so it’s always important to start at the beginning with your water and then move on from there with treatment. That’s just my opinion though. I’m sure others will have a good routine they can type out on how to actually treat your fish with medication.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was only doing 100% changes because I thought "cleaner water = better". It sounds like I was wrong.

The room probably has been getting under 78 degrees at night. So I will get a heater.

The filter is Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag filters along with the pump that came with the new tank.

He got the wound before I got the pump. There may have been something in the old tank that he got caught on. We've gotten entirely new stuff for the new tank, and I don't think there's anything he'd get caught on. It's possible that he might have accidentally gotten injured while I was trying to catch him while doing a 100% water changing. I'd hate to think that's what happened.

I've found Kanaplex and Furan-2 on Amazon. I'll order them now.

I appreciate your advice.

With your water change schedule I'd be very surprised if you have an issue with the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, but it wouldn't be the first time I've gotten surprised. Is there a reason that you are doing 100% water changes? They really are not necessary in a tank that's your size unless you have something major going on like an algae bloom, or you are going a month or two not doing water changes. If you are vacuuming the tank, and doing 25 to 50% water changes once or twice a week then the 100% changes are not necessary besides the fact that they stress the fish out since you have to catch him and remove him from the tank. The reason I'm bringing it up is that while your boy is sick you want to stress him as little as possible.

How warm is the room his tank is in? If it's below 78 degrees at any point of the day or night, then he needs a heater. Either an adjustable one, or a preset one that turns off once the water reaches the preset temp, will be fine. Again, I have a reason for bringing it up, while he's sick he needs the best possible temperature to help both his immune system and metabolism. If the water is cool their immune system suffers and metabolism slows down.

You mentioned that you just got him a filter, what type of filter is it? Does it have an intake tube or any clips, that he could have gotten caught on? Did he get the wound before or after you added it? I've had a betta rip his fins off on the intake tube of the filter. I'm wondering if he got wounded on the filter somehow and it's gotten infected. I could be way, way, off base though.

That looks like body rot, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what might have caused it. Luckily you are in the U.S. and have access to fish antibiotics which you are going to need to treat him. I'd go with a combo of Kanaplex and Furan-2. It's a bit harsher then I generally recommend, but since whatever is going on is at the base of his tail, on both sides, I don't know how much time you have to try them separately while giving him a week off in between to recover from the effects of the first. The combo of both treats both gram negative and positive bacteria, and the combo is said to wipe out colomunaris where one or the other won't do so alone. When using any meds make sure to remove the carbon from your filter, of you don't the carbon will remove the medicine from the water.

I hope your boy recovers! He's gorgeous and you take excellent care of him.

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
You're welcome.

I'm just glad that you could get them. I really hope that they work for him. If you want I can post the instructions on how to use them together. It's pretty easy to do. After a lot of research I finally came across easy instructions on how to dose small tanks, so let me know if you need help with the dosing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're welcome.

I'm just glad that you could get them. I really hope that they work for him. If you want I can post the instructions on how to use them together. It's pretty easy to do. After a lot of research I finally came across easy instructions on how to dose small tanks, so let me know if you need help with the dosing.
Hello,
I've got the medicine and followed the instructions on the packages. Unfortunately, my fish doesn't seem to be looking any better. Maybe I need help with dosing. I don't know what to do.
Any help or suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Oh dear, that doesn't look good at all.

Seeing the photo, my mind goes straight to the "Graphite" strain of Mycobacteria (a type of "Fish Tuberculosis"), except that the color here isn't quite right- more of a gold than silvery gray- and that strain of Myco usually strikes very fast. It could be a new or just more rare version, but I'm not sure how likely that actually is...

Thankfully I've never experience it in person so I just wanted to bring up the possibility in case someone who has encountered it can weigh in.

That aside, you might want to try using Potassium Permanganate if you can get some. It's a very strong oxidizer so it won't really discriminate between bacteria and fish cells (ie, your betta may be harmed by it if the infection has gone deep inside his body), but it may be able to knock back the infection enough for antibiotics and his immune system to take care of the rest.

I am not sure offhand of the dosage, but I know you can either use it in his tank at the dose recommended on the package (assuming you don't have live plants) or mix up a double-strength amount and "paint" it directly on the infected areas with a cotton swab. Swabbing is stressful on fish because you have to net him and take him out of the water briefly while you do so, but it would have a more direct effect.

(Don't use PP in his tank if you think his gills are affected; because of how strongly it acts on damaged cells it can be fatal. Undamaged tissue is usually able to handle it at the recommended dosage)

I'm not really sure what antibiotics to recommend after Kanaplex + Furan 2, however, since those are generally considered one of the most powerful combinations available. You could try something more broad-spectrum, like Triple Sulfa or Fin & Body Cure, but I'm not confident they'll be strong enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts