Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Could just be his coloring, hard to tell.

He does look very skinny though. Very skinny. His stomach looks caved in, and he's probably malnourished. His whole body should be the same/bigger circumference than his head.

Also, fill out the form above as asked by Russel please

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
59 Posts
This actually isn't my betta, I can't answer these questions. I am looking to take him from someone in the neighborhood who cannot care for it. They sent me these pictures that they took when they purchased him from a store and said he has looked exactly the same for days (they expected his tail to fill out and such).
Have they fed him? He looks like he's starving an malnourished. Either that, or from what I know a sunken fish belly could be an intestinal parasite. Ask about his poop, if it is long, translucent and stringy, it's a parasite. Don't panic, but I would wait to pick him up until you can be sure of his condition. He can't grow up and let his tail fill out unless he has a quality diet and healthy environment.

Edit: I see he looks young. That could be partially why he looks small and thin. However, It still does look like he's malnourished.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have they fed him? He looks like he's starving an malnourished. Either that, or from what I know a sunken fish belly could be an intestinal parasite. Ask about his poop, if it is long, translucent and stringy, it's a parasite. Don't panic, but I would wait to pick him up until you can be sure of his condition. He can't grow up and let his tail fill out unless he has a quality diet and healthy environment.

Edit: I see he looks young. That could be partially why he looks small and thin. However, It still does look like he's malnourished.

I asked about food and they said they feed him "once or twice a day", but honestly, I don't know that I believe them. They opened the message, but haven't responded to the poop question. Regardless of his health, I think I want to take this guy and try to help him get better. I can't imagine just letting him starve or die some other way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I asked about food and they said they feed him "once or twice a day", but honestly, I don't know that I believe them. They opened the message, but haven't responded to the poop question. Regardless of his health, I think I want to take this guy and try to help him get better. I can't imagine just letting him starve or die some other way.
If they fed him one pellet a day that would make sense why haha. If you do get him, make sure you quarantine him first to keep a close eye on him before introducing him to your main tank. Do you know if he has been living in that cup or if he has a Seperate tank?

·
Super Moderator
24,372 Posts
It's his coloring. However, as noted, he's quite thin.

If you take him invest in a high quality food (NorthFin Betta Bits, Fluval Bug Bites, New Life Spectrum) and some frozen (not freeze dried) Bloodworms.

Frozen Bloodworms will provide him with the fat and protein he needs to gain weight. Healthy fish should not be fed them daily; however, comprised fish are different.

Hope you get him and hope he does well for you. Once you get him and have questions about his care, there are several stickies in the Betta Care section and lots of help from members there, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they fed him one pellet a day that would make sense why haha. If you do get him, make sure you quarantine him first to keep a close eye on him before introducing him to your main tank. Do you know if he has been living in that cup or if he has a Seperate tank?

I was actually planning on keeping him alone. I'm not not a fish keeper, but when I saw this guy online and found out he was right down the road I took to my research. I'm cycling a 5 gallon tank right now using my turtle's old filer cartridge. I have a test kit coming in the mail tomorrow. I had no experience or even interest in fish keeping, but here I am now lol.

Oh yeah I have no idea about where he's been living, but I would assume and hope he was put into something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts