Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, it's been a while and generally my betta fish, Leo, was doing amazing! he can now swim through a hoop :-D
But yesterday he did something that really alarmed me... i was just feeding him a pellet when all of a sudden the sight of my hand seemed to alarm him, and he began darting around the aquarium. He then proceeded to hide in a corner behind the filter and play dead. this really scared me, he has never done this in the past... i didn't even know they could do that and i thought he was really dead for a second :cry:
anyway, I left him to go to sleep overnight, and in the morning he seemed okay, but then as soon as I tried to give him breakfast (he gets food in the morning and at night) he saw my hand again, and he did the same thing again. since then he has just been darting wildly at the sight of me.
I am not sure, but i think that this may be caused by my nails, I painted them a dark blue, the exact same color that Leo is, and i think that the bright colors are alarming him, because he did not do it when my mom tried to play with him.
Any help or other suggestions on what might be causing this strange darting??? it's making me very sad, he normally loves the sight of me :-(

·
Registered
230 Posts
Try taking the nail polish off. he just miht think that your finger is a giant betta staring at him. w

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most fish don't like dark colors overhead. Think of wild fish having to watch overhead for birds feeding on them.
Hey, just a theory!
okay, but it is weird... i have always had my nails painted. but he does seem to be better today, i think i will take off the nail polish and then see how it goes :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
WOW!
That is so interesting! I never thought of fish perceiving color...but what a neat experiment! I know it wasn't neat for you, LOL but that really is cool.
Playing dead... I believe it. Betta's seem so much more intelligent than other fish...
I wish you could have recorded that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My bettas are the same, too. They react very strongly if they see a certain colour near them. My old betta responded very strongly whenever he would see anything bright pink or green - he would flare right up for minutes at a time! I think its kind of cute and funny to see. XD My male Orpheus reacts that way when he sees the colour black. He'll swim away like a little chicken, but then come back in full force and flare like there's no tomorrow!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bettas are the same, too. They react very strongly if they see a certain colour near them. My old betta responded very strongly whenever he would see anything bright pink or green - he would flare right up for minutes at a time! I think its kind of cute and funny to see. XD My male Orpheus reacts that way when he sees the colour black. He'll swim away like a little chicken, but then come back in full force and flare like there's no tomorrow!
Wow thats so cool :) that would be a very neat experiment, if i wasn't so scared for my fish playing dead :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: i took of the nail polish a few days ago, and i didn't post again because I thought everything was all better, yet today he has been sulking near the bottom, and i tried to play with him, but he flipped out again! I'm pretty sure it's not the color thing anymore... he didn't play dead this time, just darts around, and then goes back to sulking at the bottom, only coming up for air. whats wrong with him?!?! someone help please :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
no actually it started a week ago right after i did clean his tank 100% and change the decor, but i haven't changed it since then
If you changed the decor, maybe you could try changing it back. My VT boy plays dead if I take his heater out first before cupping him for a water change, if I take out a decoration he likes, or put in a decoration he doesn't like. He's a bit dramatic & spoiled, lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you changed the decor, maybe you could try changing it back. My VT boy plays dead if I take his heater out first before cupping him for a water change, if I take out a decoration he likes, or put in a decoration he doesn't like. He's a bit dramatic & spoiled, lol.
wow thats funny! my fish is very spoiled too... he actually didn't like the plant i put in last week, it didn't hide him as well as he liked, and so i changed it to his favorite ones!
also I change them every week, and nothing has ever happened before like this.

·
Registered
417 Posts
wow thats funny! my fish is very spoiled too... he actually didn't like the plant i put in last week, it didn't hide him as well as he liked, and so i changed it to his favorite ones!
also I change them every week, and nothing has ever happened before like this.
You have a spoiled boy too. The more you describe his personality the more I think you changed something that he wanted to stay. I'll try taking my boy's heater out first during his next water change in a few days & see if I can get a pic of him playing dead. Then we can compare notes on our spoiled boys.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Perseus flips out when he sees the color blue as in the lib on the jar of the NLS pellets. He just goes wild and starts flaring and swimming around like a shark...lol

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have a betta named "spoiled brat" he threw a tantrum when I moved his tank location, he hid the whole time, would only come out when it was feeding time and had clamped fins, I had to move the tank back by where my girlfriend sits and works at her computer, as long as he is within about 5 feet of her he is fine, I can change his tank whats in hios tank or anything I want to, but to move him away from her and he flips out.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yea, my guy flips, & dances, & flares when he sees the color red... He knows its feeding time.... And the one time I tried to put in a totally red silk plant, he flared at it all day... I took it out, cuz I thought maybe it was gonna stress him! But, when I put in a plant that has a red tinge w/ green, and slightly purple on it, he's fine! Lol ...Wacky Fish :)

@Stone: LMAO! That is hilarious!! :) You might have to go find a new g.f. Cuz I think urs has been stolen! Lol

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
He may still be pouting over the blue color/your hands. Mine get irritated if I have to cup them for any reason, and will pout for a week or so afterwards, darting away just like you described when I feed them.

One thing I realized yesterday which really shocked me was that mine notice far more than I had ever realized about their environment. Three of my tanks are close together, and the fish can, presumably, see one another in the different tanks. (I have no idea how good their eyesight is.) I cupped one fish out of one tank...and the others in the OTHER TANKS darted and got stressed over the single cupping in a different tank, several feet away. They saw what had happened to Somerset, and were stressed that it might be going to happen to them as well. I had no idea they were that observant about things happening a fair distance away, and in *another tank* from their own environment. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
LOL

These stories about betta tantrums are cracking me up. Is it me or are the boys more dramatic than girls?

Blue fish, I found out how good their eye sight was when I came downstairs & my baby matured overnight. Her tank was several feet away on the opposite counter in my kitchen from my boy. I came down one morning to my boy pacing with the biggest, most dense bubble nest I've ever seen him build & my girl was pacing sporting her breeding stripes.

Bettabetter, did you figure out what is causing it yet?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
My male sulks if anything changes in his environment, inside or outside. He sulked when I upgraded his tank, then he sulked when his Lilly bulb sprouted leaves, until he realized he could sleep on them. Now he's sulking because the some of the leaves are starting to die. He sulked when I changed the scenery outside of his tank, they were pictures of my friends. He stared at the area where they were until I put them back, then he perked back up again.
My female on the other hand, loves scenery changes and gets very excited anytime I change anything in or near her tank.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts