Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

For Christmas I treated myself to the betta of my dreams:lol:. Fryderyck is a dumbo delta tail boy and I knew when I bought him he looked like a tail biter (he had a chunk missing, but it was healing and growing). Last week Fryderyck started tail biting, he's healing up now but I still catch him circling and trying to chomp his tail. I've put paper on the side of his tank so he can't see the other fish and I started keeping the lights low (that seems to help calm him) but I don't know how else to help him.

I also noticed that he may be "blowing out" his tail. He flairs a lot and his tail now has holes in it.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
maybe you can try some Indian almond leaf or rooibos tea to help calm him.

is he where he gets alot of attention/distractions?

just keep his water nice and clean, he will be fine, but he might not stop...:(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's on my dresser in my room. It's next to my bed but I don't frequent my room often. I have read up on Indian Almond leaf, but I haven't done enough research to actually use it. How exactly does it calm a betta?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
that tannins that are in the leaves help calm the fish. They also help with fin regrowth.

I've found the best way to deal with fin biters is to constantly rearrange their tank so they aren't bored. I also have found that high protein diets help. I would make sure your fish is eating good quality pellets like Omega One or New Life Spectrum with some frozen bloodworms or mosquito larva once a week or so.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Hikari Betts Gold and New Life Spectrum. Because I live in a dorm I don't have a freezer for frozen foods, and I've heard that freeze dried foods can contribute to bloat. He's in a bare bottom tank right now, do you think adding gravel will entertain him some?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
You can do freeze-dried bloodworms *IF* you rehydrate them first. Frozen (and thawed) are still preferred, but if you don't have access to a freezer freeze dried can still have their place if handled properly.

If you decide to try these, take a capful of tank water and soak the freeze dried worm for a few minutes before feeding. This will help to prevent a lot of the issues that can be had with the worms expanding once they reach your fish's stomach.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
actually freeze drying takes most of the nutrients out so If you cannot do frozen foods then just stick with high quality pellets.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
maybe you could have a small wingless fruit fly culture or maybe some type of worm, usualy they are easy and just need a container and moisture and food...or something along thoose lines. Maybe petco/smart has some

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
actually freeze drying takes most of the nutrients out so If you cannot do frozen foods then just stick with high quality pellets.
Yeah, not much nutrition at all with freeze-dried unfortunately. Essentially the same as candy. Could still be used as a very occasional treat though if steps to rehydrate are taken.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a good friend that has a wingless fruit flies for her reptiles, I'll ask if I could snag some off of her lol. I'll try my best to keep this little guy entertained so he's not so tempted to chomp.

·
Super Moderator
22,093 Posts
Don't feel badly if nothing you do works. No definitive reason for fin-biting has been proven so, unfortuntely, any cures are theories or coincidence. I've had them spontaneously stop after having done nothing and had them keep it up when I did the tank rearranging, etc.

I learned a long time ago to not stress or become frustrated over fin-biting Betta. I keep their water warm and clean to prevent disease and live with their unwanted creativity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Russell, I have a veiltail boy that used to bite when he was young. Now he doesn't and his tail is nearly 2 inches long. I'm hoping Fryderyck will do the same and "grow out" of this nasty habit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update on Mr. Fryderyck Chopin:

I have recently moved him to a darker area of my room. It seems that the lamp next to my two tanks was putting off too much light for him. Since moving him, he has bit his tail, but not as bad as before and he's healing just fine now. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm planning on blacking out most of his tank when I move back to the dorm if he gets stressed out again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts