Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
So I recently got a new betta fish, Phantom (If you've read my user name, you'll have noticed I have a love for Phantom of the Opera). He's being adjusted to a tank with a couple plants in it. This was mainly because I was a paranoid betta Mama when buying my fish decorations, keeping in mind Phantom's delicate fins and left with nothing major.
Well, talking with my mother, I thought about going to a pottery place down the street and buying something ceramic and painting it then getting it done (blown? some word I can't remember) so it's smooth and I have no nightmares about waking up with his fin missing.
My concern with this is will the chemicals come off and go into the water and poison Phantom? Should I be less concerned about the pet store's decorations? I don't know what to do and I'm clueless! :-?
Please help!

·
Registered
560 Posts
From what I have read in several postings, You should rinse any decor in hot water and then let them air dry over night; so that any harmful chemicals that can harm your fish will be kept at a very minimal level. Don't forget to treat the water with a dechlorinator solution too. Welcome to bettafish.com.:-D

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
People use coffee cups & the little clay pots so if you paint it up, glaze it & fire it then it should be safe. I would wash it good once its been fired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts