Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've been posting a lot but I really want to get my betta the best life I can, I need help with a lot of things, I need to know everything I need for a betta tank, like a list of everything you want/need if links are possible that would also be appreciated, I am starting a tank from scratch, also a tutorial on how to start it off right would be nice if you know, I mean everything too, substrate vacuum cycling lights, even a good place to put a tank. What's a good size tank for a betta? do LED's work best or a lamp, I just need a guide on everything you need for a tank and how to start one. thanks

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,443 Posts
If you go through the stickies at the top of each section you will find all sorts of information. I think this one will give you the most information in one place BETTA BASICS - Introduction to Bettafish Care

I'd suggest you read the one above and the any that apply like the one on cycling and on plants in the "Planted" sub-forum. Write down any questions. Post them all in one thread so you will have everything in one thread and and not scattered around the Forum. Makes it easier for you if you can't recall what you were advised.

Don't worry about how many questions you ask. A lot of questions are welcome because for every person who asks something there are dozens more who are educated. And it's great for all of use to read differing opinions on the same subject. It allows members to decide which makes most sense to them. And, causes some to rethink what we've always thought was best. Even though I've had aquariums for 61 years, I have learned so much on the Forum.

What makes a lot of questions from a single member frustrating is answering in one thread only to find the member asks essentially the same question but phrased a bit differently in another. Well, it's frustrating for me, anyways. It makes me wonder if the member even bothered to read what I spent a lot of time and energy composing. :censored:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been keeping my bubbler, filter, and heater's all next to each other so the filter gets warm air-filled water, I've heard it's a bad idea but I don't see why not. Also, I think instead of overloading the forum I'm going to just ask all my questions in this "discussion". this is a 2.5-gallon tank.

Also, do you think it's worth getting a 5-gallon tank just for one betta? I was thinking of getting one of the kits that come with everything, are they any good?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been keeping my bubbler, filter, and heater's all next to each other so the filter gets warm air-filled water, I've heard it's a bad idea but I don't see why not. Also, I think instead of overloading the forum I'm going to just ask all my questions in this "discussion". this is a 2.5-gallon tank.

Also, do you think it's worth getting a 5-gallon tank just for one betta? I was thinking of getting one of the kits that come with everything, are they any good?
I only know realized you said to keep it in one thread🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
234 Posts

Yes, a 5 gallon is perfect for a betta. Some people say bettas need bigger tanks and some say small tanks are fine. I personally used to use 3 gallon ones, but now I use 5 gallons. I've never tried the kits before, what do they come with? Don't forget to cycle and buy appropriate gravel and plants!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,443 Posts
You are right that it is good to have the heater near the filter because the filter's output distributes the heat outward.

I've had 2.5 and 5.5 tanks for my Betta; I like both. Keep in mind, though, that maintenance is easier the larger the tank. A cycled 2.5 needs a couple of quart or two quart water changes and vacuum per week; a cycled 5.5 only needs one 1.5 gallon and vacuum per week.

Depending on the size of the filter and heater in your 2.5, you could use them in a 5.5. If that's the case, both PetSmart and PetCo have empty 5.5 tanks for around $15 or so. Add a canopy for around $10 and you're good to go. So let us know how many watts is your heater and what brand and size/number of the filter. If you don't know, add pictures. For @MaGiC74 I don't use kits either. Generally they come with tank, filter and hood. You still have to buy a heater.

Tank mates are for us. As a solitary fish, the Betta couldn't care less. I've had Betta-based community tanks for years in 10+ gallon tanks. I can honestly say I get more out of my Betta when their only tank mates are Mystery Snails. They're much more interactive. But that's my experience; others may have different one. I've even taken down one of my 20 gallon tanks and may put a couple of 5.5 on it. The 2.5 tanks are my end table.

What you do for lights depends on whether you are going to have silk or live plants.

Keeping it in this thread is a great idea. ;)

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
565 Posts
Here is a short list I composed. :)

ESSENTIAL
-Tank
-Light/Lid
-Heater
-Thermometer
-Filter
-Backup Filter Media
-Food (omega one betta buffet, northfin pellets, fluval bug bites, new life spectrum)
-Substrate (gravel and sand are my favorite-if you want plants look into a planted tank substrate. You can also just do floating plants and anubias/java fern if you don't want to buy the substrate.)
-1 hide (2 preferred)
-Plants (silk or live-no plastic)
-Siphon
-Testing Kit
-Seachem Prime
-Buckets, toothbrush(for algae), and dish soap/bleach for cleaning products
-Container for holding while deep cleaning or for transport (critter keeper's are the best)
-Net/Cup for transport

OPTIONAL (recommended)
-2 different types of frozen food to use as treats (I like bloodworms and brine shrimp)
-Live plants + seachem flourish fertilizer(my favorite plants are marimo moss balls, anubias, java fern, hornwort, and frogbit)
-Medicine Kit-General Cure (parasites) EM erythromycin (bacterial) Kanaplex (severe bacterial), Indian Almond Leaves (fin rot/nipping and stress), epsom salt (bloating, swim bladder, dropsy)
-Timer switch for if you are in a hurry and forget to turn on/off the lights
-1-2 gal hospital tank and spare sponge filter
-Algae razor blade (super useful!)
-Battery powered bubbler for power-outages

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, Thanks for all the help! this forum has some of the best people I know, thank you guys so much for all the help!

Russel- here's the filter -https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters-and-pumps/filters/top-fin-bettafloandtrade-bf5-low-flow-filter-52180.html
Heres the heater, I have 2 -https://www.petsmart.com/fish/heating-and-lighting/heaters/top-fin-betta-tank-heater-5282587.html
Would these work for a 5 gal?

Magic74- So would you recommend a 3-gallon tank, or just saying they work for you? Also, the kits are usually just the tank, lid, light, filter.

KekeTheBettaDoc-Wow Thanks, do you have links, if not that's fine, That list really helps, thanks

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Sure! I can link some of the stuff for specific brands/products I like
Hide- https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Floa...ocphy=9032745&hvtargid=pla-307397862697&psc=1

Siphon-This is the fancier one but the cheap one from walmart works just the same

Testing Kit- https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ijtqKjl9jtAhU9CjQIHRBKBh4Q9aACegQIERBb&adurl=

Brine Shrimp-https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/food/omegaandtrade-one-carnivore-fish-food-21361.html?cgid=300113

Bloodworms-https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/food/san-francisco-bay-brand-sallys-red-mosquito-larvae-frozen-bloodworms-fish-food-18084.html?cgid=300113

Prime-https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/water-care-and-conditioning/seachem-prime-aquarium-water-conditioner-17551.html

Omega One Betta Food-https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/food/omegaandtrade-betta-buffet-pellets-fish-food-36237.html

Flourish-https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/plant-care/seachem-flourish-freshwater-aquarium-comprehensive-plant-supplement-18101.html

General Cure-https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/disease-treatment/api-guide-fish-problem-solving-general-cure-17963.html

Erythromycin- API® E.M. Erythromycin Fish Bacterial Infection Treatment | fish Disease Treatment | PetSmart

Indian Almond Leaves-https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjG48K5mNjtAhUbDK0GHV-iDwYYABAEGgJwdg&sig=AOD64_2Zka-5mLFEMq8r1bu0kcTGuFDwRw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwihn7u5mNjtAhVQHDQIHf19BbEQ9aACegQIEhBJ&adurl=

Algae Scraper/net-https://www.amazon.com/Songway-Aquarium-Scraper-Connector-Maintenance/dp/B07P5WPJL6/ref=asc_df_B07P5WPJL6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385172485852&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=949175112101294417&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032800&hvtargid=pla-719939251839&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=80205419882&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385172485852&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=949175112101294417&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032800&hvtargid=pla-719939251839

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,443 Posts
Yes, both filter and heater are made for 5/5.5 gallon tanks. With a way to test Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates you are ready to cycle the tank to make it safe CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

PetCo sells Aqueon tanks so you would need an Aqueon glass canopy or whatever lid you decide to buy. PetSmart sells Marineland so you'd need a Marineland hood. They're both the same number of gallons but vary just enough in dimensions that a Marineland won't fit an Aqueon and vice versa.

IMO, as you have the heater and filter, these are the "musts":

1. SeaChem Prime (makes water safe)

2. Regular weekly water changes (two gallons) with vacuum. This tells you why: Symptoms and Diseases Triggered by Poor Habitat Maintenance

3. NorthFin Betta Bits, Fluval Bug Bites, Omega One, New Life Spectrum. The best food is Grain Free Bug (Black Soldier Fly) Formula. However, you must order online. It has absolutely no fillers. Site also sells live plants.

4. API Master Test Kit

5. Indian Almond Leaves or plain, decaffeinated Rooibos Tea. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties and will help prevent both.

If you take care of all of the above then in order of importance (IMO):

1. Lots of plants (silk or live). As as noted, live Anubias or Java Fern can be left floating or tied to decor. Only the roots can be planted. I have more success with Anubias. Best Betta tanks have 50%-75% plants. Rule of thumb: If you can see a Betta at a glance there aren't enough plants.

2. Hides if you don't have enough plants. I use pieces of slate propped against a tank wall. Cheap and effective. You can get a piece of slate at Home Depot or Lowe's....if small enough they will give them to you.

3. Algae scraper

4. If you have live plants: https://www.nilocg.com/ If you ever have plants that grow in substrate then substrate fertilizer tabs. If you only have floating plants then the above is, IME, the best. Comes with a pump so there's no measuring. I didn't think my plants could do any better until I tried Thrive.

5. Some keep meds on hand; but if you keep up with water changes and use Indian Almond leaves you shouldn't have any need for them. Only you know if you will do regular maintenance and IAL. If you think it might be haphazard, then the meds recommended could become necessary. Keeping the water clean is cheaper and less stressful.

If a Betta with a healthy appetite stops eating and becomes lethargic, post in the Diseases and Emergencies sub-forum. Fill out the sticky PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I've saved up some money and I was wondering if I should get a 5 gallon tank or 10 gallon tank for my betta, However i'm not sure where id put the 10 gallon tank, I only have a 4 x 5 x 5 feet area to work with.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So I've saved up some money and I was wondering if I should get a 5 gallon tank or 10 gallon tank for my betta, However i'm not sure where id put the 10 gallon tank, I only have a 4 x 5 x 5 feet area to work with.
Bettas are fine using 5 gals. If you don't have the space, you should probably get a 5 gallon. Some bettas like smaller tanks too :)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Bettas are fine using 5 gals. If you don't have the space, you should probably get a 5 gallon. Some bettas like smaller tanks too :)
Personally with my fish I use all 5 gals as its easier to maintain parameters and I find they enjoy the space-plus I'm a hardscape freak and like having more space for decor. More personal preference, but 9/10 times a betta will definitely enjoy the space.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a 5 gallon tank, lights filter heater bubbler etc, and I was wondering if I could put 3-4 rummynose tetra in there with my betta

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have in my 2 5 gallon tanks with my males is a nerite snail and a ghost shrimp. But now in my one tank the shrimp grew like crazy and was as big as the body of my male betta and it grabbed his tail fin and my male was trying to get away so I scooped him(shrimp) up and put him in with the girls. They are faster and he doesn’t bother them. So from trial and error and since I’m new to bettas but not fish keeping I agree with RussellTheShihTzu a snail in a 5 gallon tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts