Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bettta fish was HYPERACTIVE, always swimming up and down to get my attention. Recently he's been pretty inactive.

I have not done anything differently except for one thing:
I bought him this plant and had it in the tank for a few days until I realised he was ditching his PineApple House. So I decided to confiscate the plant. Except the day after that he has been not as active, sinking to the bottom of his tank. (he rarely does this ever before)

After 2 days of that I returned him his plant because I thought he was unhappy. Except he's still not as active. He only swims around when I wave my finger or call for his attention. (sometimes he only reacts slightly and then stops moving again) Other than that, he just usually stays in one place not moving. Is this normal?

What worries me the most is that TODAY, (3rd day after getting his plant back) he was not only at the bottom of the tank, but tilted to one side. D:
I researched...I dunno if he has SBD which might be caused by constipation?

Then I read somewhere else that some fish just like to sleep sideways. BUt I don't know why my fish is so less hyper.

Advice/suggestions would be welcome! 1st post here, I've always been just a reader but I LOVE betta fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry *bump* . I forgot to mention that recently I've been working not on the table next to my tank, but on the floor where I believe is too far for the fish to see me. Do they get that depressed easily if I neglect them this way?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
How long you have him?
How big is the tank?
How much 9%) water changes you doing and how often
What food you feed him and how much?
Is he still eating?
Is he bloated?
Any visual symptoms on the body like a white salts grains?
When is last time you saw his poop and is it white or clear stringy wormy shape?
When he swims can he stay upright or he swims on one side?
Is it also look like he want to swim to the bottom but comes right up to the surface

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had him for 1.5 months. I adopted him from someone who had him for 1 year but didn't want him. He lived in a 1.5-2 gallon tank before. Then I bought a 5 gallon one.

I do 30% water changes every couple of days.
I feed him 3 pellets a day (slightly smaller ones than his eyes)
He still eats, quite happily so.
no white salt grains
he doesn't seem bloated he stays at the bottom to rest a lot but he also does that on the surface and on a leaf
I saw him poop 2 days ago, I'm sure he still poops?

When he swims he's upright.

My main question is, do betta fish become less active as winter approaches?
Are they meant to be active pretty much all the time during the day?
My fish does everything the same (swimming the same), but now after I feed him he just goes back to rest. He SOMETIMES sleeps to one side, which worries me. And when I try catch his attention he doesn't react (so he's in a deep sleep or something)
?

He used to be swimming all the time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
my betta sometimes also rest on his side like a man so i guess its okay

as far as i know bettas like to rest on flat surface or like broad leaves like the amazon sword

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
My main question is, do betta fish become less active as winter approaches?-Should not. Do you have a heater? If you don't have the heater in his tank and your house not heated then he might cold. That is the only the reason he could be uncomfortable in the winter, otherwise change in the season should not affect him.

Are they meant to be active pretty much all the time during the day?- yes

My fish does everything the same (swimming the same), but now after I feed him he just goes back to rest. He SOMETIMES sleeps to one side, which worries me. And when I try catch his attention he doesn't react (so he's in a deep sleep or something)- At any time when there are any changes in behavior , i think there is the problem and its better to figure out what is the problem before he get worse .

1.So first try to keep close eye on him to make sure no other visual symptoms developed.
2.Monitor his poo and make sure its not white,clear, broken white stringy wormy which will indicated he has internal infection/parisites.

For 5 gall make 2-50% water changes a week , make sure you vacuum the gravel and you need to swish/rinse the filter in the tank water weekly because filter can gather a lot of gunk in them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts