Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Thanks in advance for reviewing this post and offering any advice and suggestions. I posted about Leo's condition on here about one month ago. I'm concerned he's getting worse.

Housing:

How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons

Does it have a filter? Yes, hang-on filter.

Does it have a heater? Yes

What temperature is your tank? Currently 80.1*F

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? An air stone that is not running 24/7.

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No, except for a few opportunistic snails

Food:

What food brand do you use? Mostly NLS small pellets. Sometimes frozen daphnia, frozen blood worms and rarely frozen mysis shrimp

Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets

Freeze-dried? No, quit freeze-dried months ago

How often do you feed your Betta? 2-3x per day How much? 3-5 pellets

Maintenance:

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week

What percentage of water did you change? One-third mostly, sometimes one-half

What is the source of your water? ⅔ tap and ⅓ RO water

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum

What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime to condition water and sometimes API Stresscoat

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Seachem ammonia alert shows <0.02ppm

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: Looks to be 10 or less

pH: About 7.4

Hardness (GH): Looks to be between 60-120 ppm

Alkalinity (KH): Looks to be between 40-80 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? It’s been very gradual. Leo began noticeably biting his fins one month ago and his fins look worse and more tattered. Also, he doesn’t dive anymore. He bobs at the top of the water. He isn’t lop-sided, or side-swimming, he stays upright. But, if he tries to swim down, he immediately floats up to the surface. I have removed a bridge decoration, a mystery snail, kept the water pristine with 2 water changes per week now and blocked off sight to an adjoining aquarium that may have caused stress.

How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fins are tattered-looking and split.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Leo doesn’t dive to the bottom anymore and he doesn’t swim around as much.

Is your Betta still eating? Yes

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I’ve added API Stress Coat when performing water changes and have an IAL in tank permanently.

Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not really but upon learning that he’s a rosetail, we’ve had to make numerous changes and accommodations for him, which we do gladly.

How long have you owned your Betta? About 8 months

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No, but he was a Petco purchase

IMG_5734.jpeg

Today's image, above, versus about one month ago, below.

IMG_5102.jpeg

I have tried to research this site thoroughly for next steps to take on Leo's fins. It doesn't appear that he has fin rot to me, but please correct me if I'm wrong. More so, I've read that pristine water is the best I can do....I read conflicting info on API salt (for outside) and Epsom salt (for inside).

Again, thanks for any help and suggestions you can give me.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Not really but upon learning that he’s a rosetail, we’ve had to make numerous changes and accommodations for him,
Hi! What were the changes that you made for him, other than the ones you describe in the form above?

pristine water
Super clean water, with regular water changes of 50% and vacuuming are your, and his, best defense.

You have IAL in his tank, but you can add more Indian almond leaf tea or use plain decaf rooibos tea (the ingredient list should be rooibos only, organic preferable). Each of these has antibacterial and antifungal properties and also ease stress. The color of the water should be at least this dark;

However, I'm concerned that what you're describing regarding his swimming and floating back to the surface might be swim bladder issues. I don't have experience with how to handle that, hopefully someone else does and comes to your thread very soon.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
Oh darn, I'm sorry Leo is still struggling. I still think it is nipping but I can't be sure, would you mind getting another photo from the side. Do you see any black parts that look kind of burned? I would be surprised if he had rot because of your cleaning schedule. I'm wondering if Leo wouldn't do better in a smaller tank? I have one that has always been a biter but I am moving him from a tall 3.5 to a short 2.5 to see if it helps.

·
Super Moderator
21,798 Posts
I would suggest the same as BettaLoverSara: A 2.5 tank. PetSmart has them for $15 and, at least here, will same day deliver.

What filter do you have? It might work in the 2.5 if it is adjustable. For the moment, do not add substrate so you can tell if he's constipated. Not ruling it out but as he has no bloating visible it's doubtful it's SBD.

IMO, it's time for SeaChem Kanaplex Seachem - KanaPlex

Dosing in Water
Remove all invertebrates - these are extremely sensitive to medication. Turn off UV filters, ozone filters, and remove chemical filtration like MatrixCarbon™ and Purigen®. Use 1 measure (included) per every 20 L (5 gallons). Repeat this dose every 48 hours to a maximum of 3 doses. In cases of severe infections, it is possible to carry out two rounds of treatment back-to-back. However, this should only be done if fish show no signs of stress at the end of the first round.

Leave the filter on but remove any carbon/charcoal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, Mbpoppy,
Once Leo's fins really "blossomed" after bringing him home, and consequently getting a crash course on rosetail bettas, I have moved him from a 29 gallon with peaceful community-goers to a 5 gallon tank with a Mystery snail (I have since removed the Mystery Snail). When Leo was still in the 29 gallon, I added various real plants for him to rest on and baffled the filter with an unused soap dish. I have a floating mirror Betta ball that I try to get him to exercise with, for short periods of time, a couple times a week. In his 5 gal now, I have rigged up a baffling system using a betta leaf hammock fixed to tubing. I may be forgettting other things I've done...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh darn, I'm sorry Leo is still struggling. I still think it is nipping but I can't be sure, would you mind getting another photo from the side. Do you see any black parts that look kind of burned? I would be surprised if he had rot because of your cleaning schedule. I'm wondering if Leo wouldn't do better in a smaller tank? I have one that has always been a biter but I am moving him from a tall 3.5 to a short 2.5 to see if it helps.
Hi BettaloverSara, thank you. That's the weird thing, I've never seen any black parts to his fins. I've never seen any fungus or infection. Here is another pic--it seems like chunks the shape of is mouth on his ventral fin. I don't know how his caudal fin is splitting like that; could he be ripping it apart with his mouth?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would suggest the same as BettaLoverSara: A 2.5 tank. PetSmart has them for $15 and, at least here, will same day deliver.

What filter do you have? It might work in the 2.5 if it is adjustable. For the moment, do not add substrate so you can tell if he's constipated. Not ruling it out but as he has no bloating visible it's doubtful it's SBD.

IMO, it's time for SeaChem Kanaplex Seachem - KanaPlex

Dosing in Water
Remove all invertebrates - these are extremely sensitive to medication. Turn off UV filters, ozone filters, and remove chemical filtration like MatrixCarbon™ and Purigen®. Use 1 measure (included) per every 20 L (5 gallons). Repeat this dose every 48 hours to a maximum of 3 doses. In cases of severe infections, it is possible to carry out two rounds of treatment back-to-back. However, this should only be done if fish show no signs of stress at the end of the first round.

Leave the filter on but remove any carbon/charcoal.
Hi RussellTheShihTzu, thank you!
The current filter is one that came with the 5 gal kit, a TopFin filter.
I have wondered about constipation, and have fed him daphnia to combat that. Honestly, I have never witnessed him excrete poo and have wondered if it's been hard to see due to his finnage.
I will try to get a 2.5 gal today, absent of substrate, and starting a kanaplex administration (thank you for the detailed instructions!)

My big question about that is: without substrate, and the carbon filter media, will I essentially be doing an in-fish cycle of this smaller aquarium? Will I have lost all the good bacteria?

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
Hi RussellTheShihTzu, thank you!
The current filter is one that came with the 5 gal kit, a TopFin filter.
I have wondered about constipation, and have fed him daphnia to combat that. Honestly, I have never witnessed him excrete poo and have wondered if it's been hard to see due to his finnage.
I will try to get a 2.5 gal today, absent of substrate, and starting a kanaplex administration (thank you for the detailed instructions!)

My big question about that is: without substrate, and the carbon filter media, will I essentially be doing an in-fish cycle of this smaller aquarium? Will I have lost all the good bacteria?
In a 2.5 you will change the water so often I wouldn’t worry too much about a cycle. Kanaplex will kill any cycle anyway. If the filter media from the 5 would fit in the 2.5 you could keep the 5 running and then when you are done the kanaplex in the 2.5 use the media from the 5 to start the cycle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In a 2.5 you will change the water so often I wouldn’t worry too much about a cycle. Kanaplex will kill any cycle anyway. If the filter media from the 5 would fit in the 2.5 you could keep the 5 running and then when you are done the kanaplex in the 2.5 use the media from the 5 to start the cycle.
Good point, thank you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bless your heart, what a caring fish person you are!!
Oh, thank you! I'm trying and Leo is technically my 7-year-old's but I'm in charge of care. I do love and adore this betta and am trying to do all I can to give him his best life. (Had I known then what I know now about rosetails and their selective breeding, I may have urged my son to pick a different fish).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have yet to get the 2.5 gal setup and begin Kanaplex, although that is my top priority this week. My hang up now is finding an aquarium top for a 2.5 gallon, and a heater for that small size...any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've read that you could use cling wrap...? But that may be more of a pain in the neck.

I would post links for "2.5 gallon fish tank heaters" but its probably disallowed, so anyway, that's what I typed in my browser. You could try the same for lids for that size and see if something comes up. Hang in there!

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
@Windsummoner i think I told you previously about my weird long 5 gallon. They had similar ones at big Al’s today that were 2.5. They were very short. You can use any 25 or 50w adjustable heater. For a lid I just use craft mesh.
I also have this 3 gallon and I really like it. I think it would be good for a rose tail. The filter isn’t great, I use sponge a sponge filter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've read that you could use cling wrap...? But that may be more of a pain in the neck.

I would post links for "2.5 gallon fish tank heaters" but its probably disallowed, so anyway, that's what I typed in my browser. You could try the same for lids for that size and see if something comes up. Hang in there!
Thank you!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Windsummoner i think I told you previously about my weird long 5 gallon. They had similar ones at big Al’s today that were 2.5. They were very short. You can use any 25 or 50w adjustable heater. For a lid I just use craft mesh.
I also have this 3 gallon and I really like it. I think it would be good for a rose tail. The filter isn’t great, I use sponge a sponge filter.

View attachment 1028874 View attachment 1028875
We don't have a Big Al's in my area--thanks for showing me a pic of the weird, long aquarium you had mentioned before. It helps to have a visual and I have yet to see one out there with my own eyes.

I did just get back from the store with the 3 gallon pictured above (on sale!). I'll test it for leaks tonight....couldn't find a heater but I'll get one tomorrow, hopefully, and get Leo on his recovery program. Thanks again for your time and help!

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
We don't have a Big Al's in my area--thanks for showing me a pic of the weird, long aquarium you had mentioned before. It helps to have a visual and I have yet to see one out there with my own eyes.

I did just get back from the store with the 3 gallon pictured above (on sale!). I'll test it for leaks tonight....couldn't find a heater but I'll get one tomorrow, hopefully, and get Leo on his recovery program. Thanks again for your time and help!
The heater you have in the 5 should be fine. Is it adjustable?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts