Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1080 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a chat thread for all of the ridiculous things you hear whilst shopping in the fish department.

I have so many stories to tell. I might start off with the Wal-Mart experience.
Customer: "Uh, sir? Could I please have some help getting my fish set up?"
Employee: "Why yes. Let's start with the tank" *looks at a 0.5 cube tank*
"Oh, this should do."
C: "How about some decorations?"
E: "Oh, we have some plastic plants. They should be okay."
C: "Food?"
E: "Feed them these pellets once a month and he should live a year or so."
C: "Anything else?"
E: "Use this pre-made betta water."
C: "Thank you!"

Probably the most ridiculous I have seen. I did see someone buying two male bettas and one of those divided 0.5 tanks, no food, some gravel, and no conditioner.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
"Can I put food colouring in the water to make it pretty??"

·
Registered
127 Posts
Most recent visit to petco

"yes, id like to buy some of your male dragon scale bettas."

Employee offers assist and I notice he's walking towards their female betta rack...

Me -??? Wth

after he stops, theres an akward silence before he asks me
"So...uhumm, which one?

Dude....for real?? Yep, I made sure he learned a few things before I left and his manager.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A PetCo story:

I go up to the current employee asking for companions good with bettas.

Employee: "Guppies, barbs, OH and we have these really pretty new cichlids!"

Me: "I think I'll just take a look at your platys."

Employee: "Goldfish?"

Another customer walks up with a HUGE comet goldfish and a small bowl.

Customer: "Is this good?"

Employee: "Perfect!"

·
Registered
339 Posts
"Can I put food colouring in the water to make it pretty??"
WHAAAT?!?! Food coloring??? Lmao.... 2 funny! I seriously hope the answer was NO!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I actually heard a Walmart employee tell a customer that 2 male bettas can live together in a 10g w/ 3 oscars, a frog & several neon tetras & an angel fish! I stepped in real quick, and informed the customer about the poor judgement & lack of knowledge the employee displayed. That was total tank annihilation waiting 2 happen!!! The lady was so grateful for my advice. In the end she bought a blue CT and the 6 neon tetras, a 10g starter kit, water conditioner, ph kit, crushed shells (prettier than gravel I guess), aquarium salt, stress coat, a heater & decor (incl fake plants). She also bought a 2nd betta, but on her way out, handed the cup to my 2yr old son.... her way of thanking us, she said. The employee was so miffed, lol! It kills me how they put someone in the fish dept, that doesn't know the 1st thing about aquariums, or which fish are even compatible! I made sure the store manager was aware he had an flaming idiot working in pets.... Ugh!!!

Reactions: Amberjp

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
"Of course a betta can live in an unheated bowl with three goldfish! Make sure to change the water once a month!"

Ugh. I was this close to stepping in, but the customer was so rude to the salespeople already I knew that I didn't stand a chance.

*Holding one of those divided 0.5g 'tanks' and a healthy-looking betta* "Well let's see if this one lives for a week, and then we can think about getting another" *Walks out without conditioner, heater, etc*

At this point I just block out what everyone around me is saying; I have to look after my own sanity.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
oh god. it sounds terrible. thankfully, my pet store only has semi-educated people there when I'm there. they are not perfect, but nearly as dumb as the ones you have.

Reactions: superswimmer

·
Registered
823 Posts
Customer: I would like to add something to my son's betta's tank.
Me: Sure! We have some great betta safe plants over here and a little hide for him to go into for some privacy.
Customer: No, I mean I'm looking for a frog or something to go in with the betta.
Me (skeptical): Oookay, how big is your betta's tank?
Customer: About this big *Uses hands to make a small square, likely 0.5gallon*
Me: With a tank that small there is NO way you can add any other living thing in there. I'm sorry, it will make your ammonia spike and will kill anything living in there.
Customer: Oh, well my son is so bored of his betta, all it does is sit behind the one plant it has.
Me: Well that's not normal for a betta, they're usually very lively. How often do you change the water?
Customer: I think about once a month.
Me: Well there's your problem right there, a tank that size should be cleaned AT LEAST once a week, ideally twice a week! Do you use water conditioner?
Customer: No. Just tap water.
Me: Well you will need some water condition to take out the toxins and chlorine in the tap water. Your son's betta is probably not feeling good since he's in such poor water conditions.
Customer: Oh. Well we will just buy the food today and see what happens...

I wanted to slam my head against the counter repeatedly....

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At that point I would have said, "Well, since this isn't working out, I wish you luck."
Once, someone left Wal-Mart with a 6 inch goldfish, a 1 gallon bowl, and NOTHING ELSE. No food, no decor, or water conditioner. I think I saw her at the same Wal-Mart buying another fish a few weeks later. :evil:

·
Registered
823 Posts
At that point I would have said, "Well, since this isn't working out, I wish you luck."
Once, someone left Wal-Mart with a 6 inch goldfish, a 1 gallon bowl, and NOTHING ELSE. No food, no decor, or water conditioner. I think I saw her at the same Wal-Mart buying another fish a few weeks later. :evil:
People see goldfish as cheap, replaceable pets. I regularly have people coming in asking if we sell goldfish since a betta is "too expensive for a fish that the kid probably won't take care of anyways". :|

·
Registered
823 Posts
On a non-fish related note, I've had a customer come in wanting to buy live mice for his snake (which is common in our area unfortunately. Not many feed frozen here.) When I told him we didn't have any available since we've been having trouble with our supplier, he asked if he could have one of the hamsters instead. I told him we had only one hamster and it was extremely friendly and would only be sold as a pet. He then asked if he could have a finch or a budgie to feed his snake.
When I refused, he burst out accusing me of letting his snake starve. I said "We have frozen mice, but if you're that desperate for live, go drive 2hrs to the city and get a live mouse! YOU chose to have this pet knowing full well that if we ran out, you would be out of luck!!"

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'm pretty sure the snake will be fine... I do find it odd that big box pet stores sell snakes... but no 'feeder' mice, only pets. Seems a little irresponsible, or just willfully ignorant. There's a point where the snake's gonna need live food... don't sell it if you're not willing to own that fact. Idk.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can't believe some of these employees & their lack of knowledge.

When im on a shift im not out to sell a fish to anyone, especially if the tanks too small / over crowded or what not, i usually give advice to save the fish they might already have. Thats something i told my other employees, if i can give them advice & save a fish then that makes for a happy customer (cause it has less chance of dying) and it means that the shop spend less money buying stock!

Lucky we don't have too many issues with bettas (except for a few) and most people have bought the proper tank with it (we sell a 2.5 gallon kit with everything included)
The biggest problem in our shop is the goldfish. People are so stupid when it comes to them.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Fairly recently I heard a woman talking to these two young women, probably in the early teen range 'Well ok we can get you like...a five gallon and stuff but we should pick out some goldfish' 'Well if we are going to get goldfish I want three of those ones over there.'

...three goldfish in a 5g. *Claws at face*

And THEN they wanted to know how little they could get away with for betta. No filters right? No heater, no gravel, no nothing right? You never see that stuff on the aquarium pictures!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How about someone buying plecos?

A small girl loved it, and her parents grabbed a *I believe it was a 1 gallon corner tank; or it might have been smaller* small tank, the fish, FLAKE food, and a "pretty" castle. Nothing else.

Anyone's fish store sell colored fish? As in artificially colored tetras? Well, someone bought a huge group of those, a yellow cichlid, a crab, and a few guppies. *Face palm + pinch myself to make sure I'm not in a nightmare*

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ugh!!! I wish it was legal 2 slap the stupid out of ppl sometimes!! Lol

Reactions: superswimmer

·
Registered
339 Posts
My LFS does sell the "black-light" tetras.... What kills me is that customers and employees both seem 2 think they are that way naturally!! U remember the painted glass fish that were really popular a few yrs ago? Well, for those of u who didn't know, the color fades after a while. My eldest son got 3 (a blue, a green & an orange) for his birthday when he turned 7... In about 4 mo, they were plain old glass fish. He was sooooo mad, and swore we got rid of his colorful fish (or killed them), and replaced them with "stupid invisible fish with eyes". I felt so bad that I had 2 tell him they had been injected with dye & were really just clear fish. U wouldn't think that it would b so difficult to explain, but it was. To this day, I won't even look at those poor fishies, when I'm browsing their stock. I think it's cruel 2 "enhance" the fish with dye anyway!

·
Registered
902 Posts
At least the employees you've all had run ins with have tried selling things. The MANAGER of my local Petsmart came up to me while I was looking at heaters and trying to decide what wattage I wanted. She asked what type of fish it was for, and I told her a betta. Her response? "They really don't need heaters." Like, what? Are you trying to keep me from buying something? I thought employees were supposed to sell things, not tell customers they don't need to buy something they already planned on getting. :p I simply told her "They actually do," grabbed the heater I was looking at, and went off to look at other things. She doesn't talk to me anymore. xD;

1 - 20 of 1080 Posts