Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1080 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
There actually was a guy at PetCo who owned many bettas, and he told me that my 1.5 was not big enough, that I needed a water test kit, and a heater. He was so helpful, and looking back I wish more employees were like that.

·
Banned
481 Posts
OK, here's the stories I can think of:

THE FIVE GALLON TANK EPISODE

E: Can I help you with anything?

Me: Do you have a five gallon tank?

E: What's it for?

Me: A betta.

E: *acting annoyed* Oh, well! A betta can go in basically anything!
You don't need a FIVE GALLON TANK, do you?

Me: I want one 'cause I love my betta and she needs a GOOD life.
They live longer in bigger tanks.

E: We actually don't have one right now.

Me: OK, do you have 10 gallon?

E: You need another fish for that big a tank!

THE SPHAGNUM MOSS EPISODE

Me: Do you carry sphagnum moss?

E: no, we don't.

Me: Are you SURE?

E: Yes, We REALLY don't, im sorry!

Me: Really? You sure?

E:Yep. I'm sorry again, but we don't , I garrantee!

Me: *walks away, about to give up, and right in front of me
is the sphagnum moss!!!

THE FIRST TIME I BOUGHT A BETTA:
I am walking out and the employee is "educating" me!

Me: So, do they need a lid?

E: No, they are too slow to jump. But, the good thing about
them is if you want a lid, all the other fish need air, but with bettas,
you can have a lid without oxigen and they will be FINE!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
i posted this story in another thread but I will share here as well.

Me: *walked into Petco, noticed that there was a new employee so I decided to test him to see how much he knew*
Me: Um hi, I really want a betta but like know nothing about them *using my best dumb college kid voice I could*
E: oh sure. bettas are super easy to care for. *hands me a .5 gallon tank* This tank is the best since larger tanks kill bettas.
Me: oh i didn't know a larger tank could kill a fish....
E: yeah, also get some gravel and a plastic plant
Me: cool, thanks. Oh do they need a heater, filter or anything?
E: no, bettas cannot have a filter. They also don't need a heater, they do best in cold water
Me: um so I saw this thing called "cycling" online. How do i do that? I'm confused by it.
E: Oh it's very simple. Just fill up your tank and wait 24 hours and then do a full water change and your tank will be cycled.
Me: oh so i don't need a filter?
E: nope. good luck with your new friend. *E then walks away*

·
Registered
702 Posts
These are all the reasons why I don't even talk to the employees in pet stores. When they ask me if I need help, my response is always "I'm just looking."

Works every time. Saves me the rage.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
These are all the reasons why I don't even talk to the employees in pet stores. When they ask me if I need help, my response is always "I'm just looking."

I usually do the same. But when I see new employees I'm always like "maybe they will know what they are doing!" and then I am disappointed...

·
Registered
606 Posts

My stock response is "No, I know exactly what I'm looking for, but thank you for asking." They just let me wander after that. :)

·
Banned
481 Posts
The petstore brocure said that females and males can *always* go together,
all you need is a five gallon tank, two females and a male, and *done!*

·
Registered
702 Posts
My stock response is "No, I know exactly what I'm looking for, but thank you for asking." They just let me wander after that. :)
This only works for me 50% of the time. They either leave me alone, or push on with "What are you looking for? I can help you find it!" if they think I may not be buying anything at all, they don't care what I'm doing lol

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Speaking of petshop employees there are always some pretty awesome ones. There was one petsmart lady who refused to sell me a school of albino corys until I convinced her that they would receive proper care :) I felt she deserved an award!

·
Banned
481 Posts
It's so sad that the "pet experts" so rarely know a thing about the pets they are caring for, that when you find one that is ACTUALLY knowledgeable, it's a big surprise!
I once was testing someone's knowledge on fish:
Me: how many goldfish can fit in this tank? *holding up one of those 1 gallon kits for goldfish*

Him: Oh, I don't know why they sell those things; they're really too small for any goldfish.
Why don't you pick out 10 gallons or up, they're much better!

Me: OK!

That is about the only person I ever met at petsmart who knows anything!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, hereabouts, whatever sells, is better. At least if most shops can't market bettas as zero maintenance fish, they're more than happy to help me out with picking a filter for my small tanks.

The LFS's here know each other and their products. If I ask any random store where I can find say Stresscoat+, they'll direct me to the person who sells it the cheapest in the area. ^_^

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I don't think I've ever been asked if I needed help from any pet store in the area, except the LPS where I get my bettas. Seems like poor customer service is a blessing in disguise, LOL.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I was at the pet store last, one employee asked me three times if I needed help with anything, and every time I said, "No, I've got it." I should have asked him a question to see if he actually knew anything, but I didn't :p

Also, I took a look at the goldfish tank, and it was so overcrowded it was sad. People think that they are just disposable and need zero care. :cry:

·
Registered
146 Posts
THIS conversation was the reason I no longer have any hope for humanity. (Note: At the time, I only had 3 bettas, and not 5 and a guppy.)

So I'm walking through Petsmart, looking for some more Stress Coat, when an employee sees me and asks what I'm looking for.
Me: Oh I'm just looking for some API Stress Coat, I can find it myself.
Employee: What kind of fish is it for?
Me: Um, all of them. I use it as water conditioner.
Employee: But what kind of fish do you have?
Me: Just 3 bettas.
Employee: Are you crazy? You shouldn't be giving bettas water conditioner! What kind of tank are they in?
Me: Well two of them are in 5 gallons and one is in a 3 gallon...
Employee: That's WAY too big! You'd better get them into something MUCH smaller or they'll die!
Me: Um, dude, bettas are supposed to have a minimum of 2.5 heated, filtered gallons. I'm not going to downgrade them.
Employee: They have a filter and heater too? That's INSANE! They're definitely suffering in there!
Me: No they're not.
Employee: Listen, whoever told you that you have them in the right habitat is WRONG. They will die. Bettas can only be in 0.25 gallons max. How much are you feeding them anyway?
Me: They each get 2 pellets a day.
Employee: No, no, no, NO! You're only supposed to feed them half a pellet, once a month, or they'll explode!
Me: Who even told you this?
Employee: Doesn't matter, becuase it's all correct. If you follow my advice right now your bettas could live up to 6 months! Wouldn't that be great? The average lifespan of a betta is 3 months, but if you care for them like the way I just said, you can double that.
Me: I'll have you know that one of my bettas is nearly five years old.
*silence*
Employee: Um... well... you're still doing it wrong!
Me (really frustrated at this point): No, I'm not! I'm doing everything right! Go look up some proper betta care and see for yourself.
I walked away after that. Never went to that Petsmart again.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
That reminds of when I went to get my girl (over a year ago now, who is still alive). (keep the over a year thing in your mind).

I saw a mother with a boy and a girl twins and she was shopping for bettas (one for each other them). She noticed that i had a 2.5 gallon tank (the Aqeon Betta Bow, its like Mini Bow that has a divider in it). She come over to ask me how much the tank was so I told her and she goes oh thats kinda expensive but I guess it is isn't if you can put 2 fish in there. I said no you can't put two fish in there, 2.5 gallon is smallest size for one betta fish. She goes oh really? I then went on to explain how I kept fish for years before coming to college and couldn't have them in the dorm but now I have an apartment so I was getting a fish. She asked how long they live and I said i've had fish that live over 2 years.

Then an employee walked over

E: Can I help you?
Mother: yes, I need to get two betta fish. I also need tanks and anything else that they need.
E: oh well here's a .5 gallon tank and its really cheap
Mother: oh okay. well money isn't really a concern. I want them to have the best lives.
E: They can't live in tanks larger than .5 gallons. They will die. .5 gallons is like a mansion to them.
Mother: oh....so how long to do they live?
E: oh only a couple of month. Here. this .5 gallon comes with a divider so you can put two fish in it.
Mother: oh.... okay then.
E: *walks away*

After this I tried to tell the mother that the employee was wrong and she basically told me off by saying I was a "stupid" kid and it they were "just fish".

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Really she called you stupid??? Just fish??? Idiotic employee he is

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
yes, mind you I was also 20 at the time. So I was not a "stupid kid".

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
I cant believe she didnt listen to you and said that people are hard headed but hey their fish will die anyways

Large tanks killing a betta is the stupiest thing i ever heard!

·
Registered
61 Posts
6.30 am, my co-worker and me are at walmart, looking for a airpump for the 14g at work.
There is 1 very pretty Red Vailtail, well why not get him for the office, the 3g is free anyways.

We snatch that boy and are getting stopped by one of the Employees..
E: Do you even know how to take care of that?
M: uhm what ? ( sorry im not a morning person)
E: That Betta in your hand
M: yeah i think so
E: You know you will have to let them out of that cup once a week to clean it, i always put mine in a bowl and our cat loves it
M: ( still not awake) You are doing what????
E: yes, they love it, they will live for at least 6 month if you do so
before I could answer, my Co-Worker answers:
Well he has a heated and filtered 3 G waiting for him, im pretty sure he will be fine, he is not her first Betta..
E: Thats totally wrong, you might as well kill that poor fish right away

We just walked off... before i went crazy german on that Lady..lol..

LTC Big Red ( i did not name him, lol our Captain did, since we are working for the "Big Red One") is actually doing pretty well in his "deathtrap"..lol

41 - 60 of 1080 Posts