Betta Fish Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1080 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I almost freaked out when a guy at Walmart bought a few glow fish and an Oscar i was going to say something until I heard him on the phone saying they were going in different tanks

One of my bettas does live with guppies and Honey gouramis with no issues a little flaring with the male gourami and it was settled no problem I've been told this is a bad idea but it works for me it all depends on your fish and how their personality is

Reactions: NickAu

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm only on page one and this is already killing me, long post ahead

When I got my betta, I went to Petsmart & pre bought everything the same day I got my betta, I then went to petland to get my betta. Now here's the kicker, I make my own money just to be clear & my mom came with me, she kept asking BOTH petsmart & petland clerks if he really needs a heater, a big tank and a fitler(because I got a 5.5 gal,filter and heater) of course both clerks said "They don't need heaters or filters, they are very hardy fish and can live in very small bowls" and other BS, I tuned them both out as previous to buying my fish I did my research(2 days of researching)

Unlike my mom who didn't do any research and didn't trust the knowledge I gathered because "They keep them in small bowls so it must be okay" Any person with common sense & a heart would know that such tiny bowls are not meant for ANY living being, not even shrimp.

I went back a couple of days later cause I'm a worried betta mother(turns out he was just stressed) and he asked how I acclimated him, I said "I had his bag in the tank & was putting some tank water every 5-10 minutes for a hour" as suggested by forum users & he replies while he looks at me like I'm stupid "That's...odd"

Another time was for my brothers tank, we got his water tested and his ammonia was off the charts so I tell my mom "Only way to get rid of ammonia is to do water changes more often" but no, she goes to petsmart & asks the clerk on how to remove ammonia and ends up buying "Ammonia remover" because the clerk said he uses it for his fish and that it works, I stood there annoyed and angry

·
Registered
384 Posts
THIS conversation was the reason I no longer have any hope for humanity. (Note: At the time, I only had 3 bettas, and not 5 and a guppy.)

So I'm walking through Petsmart, looking for some more Stress Coat, when an employee sees me and asks what I'm looking for.
Me: Oh I'm just looking for some API Stress Coat, I can find it myself.
Employee: What kind of fish is it for?
Me: Um, all of them. I use it as water conditioner.
Employee: But what kind of fish do you have?
Me: Just 3 bettas.
Employee: Are you crazy? You shouldn't be giving bettas water conditioner! What kind of tank are they in?
Me: Well two of them are in 5 gallons and one is in a 3 gallon...
Employee: That's WAY too big! You'd better get them into something MUCH smaller or they'll die!
Me: Um, dude, bettas are supposed to have a minimum of 2.5 heated, filtered gallons. I'm not going to downgrade them.
Employee: They have a filter and heater too? That's INSANE! They're definitely suffering in there!
Me: No they're not.
Employee: Listen, whoever told you that you have them in the right habitat is WRONG. They will die. Bettas can only be in 0.25 gallons max. How much are you feeding them anyway?
Me: They each get 2 pellets a day.
Employee: No, no, no, NO! You're only supposed to feed them half a pellet, once a month, or they'll explode!
Me: Who even told you this?
Employee: Doesn't matter, becuase it's all correct. If you follow my advice right now your bettas could live up to 6 months! Wouldn't that be great? The average lifespan of a betta is 3 months, but if you care for them like the way I just said, you can double that.
Me: I'll have you know that one of my bettas is nearly five years old.
*silence*
Employee: Um... well... you're still doing it wrong!
Me (really frustrated at this point): No, I'm not! I'm doing everything right! Go look up some proper betta care and see for yourself.
I walked away after that. Never went to that Petsmart again.

What's with employees thinking that fish die in BIGGER tanks? seriously, I would just love to hear how they would attempt to explain that backward knowledge. I also think that most of the LFS employees think that bettas are freshwater fish....when they're tropical, that or they don't know the difference?

Your super sassy responses though, I loved it <3

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I also think that most of the LFS employees think that bettas are freshwater fish....when they're tropical, that or they don't know the difference?
Bettas are freshwater tropical fish, Unless I am mistaken there are only 2 types of water on this planet fresh water and salt water.

Most of the fish in the aquarium trade are tropicals both salt and fresh water.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Bettas are freshwater tropical fish, Unless I am mistaken there are only 2 types of water on this planet fresh water and salt water.

I did think I was wrong when I wrote that but googled it and this is what came up "Water temperature needed. Freshwater fish may be out of cold water regions like lakes or rivers. Tropical are from the tropical areas, and need warm water to survive." so I thought I was somehow right lol, thanks for notifying me though, means a lot for you to point it out and further educate me. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts

Actually there is a third type of water; brackish. It's mixture of fresh and salt that is most often found where a fresh water river runs into an ocean. And there are a number of fish in the hobby that live in this water. Most however, can adapt to either fresh or salt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brackish-water_aquarium

·
Registered
384 Posts
Actually there is a third type of water; brackish. It's mixture of fresh and salt that is most often found where a fresh water river runs into an ocean. And there are a number of fish in the hobby that live in this water. Most however, can adapt to either fresh or salt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brackish-water_aquarium
Seriously? this is the first time I'm learning of this, thanks for telling me that & for the link, now I'm curious about it so hello Wikipedia :)

Reactions: Hawker

·
Registered
118 Posts
Its typically brownish with algae and seaweed in the wild. I speak from experience, since I lie near the ocean. I have seen places where it is clear, though. The fish living there would be rather temperature-fluxuation tolerant, I could imagine. thats just a theory though; dont quote me on that :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Brackish water is salt, Why because it has salt in it.
No not always. ;-)
Remember that there is the tide, so sometimes brackish water fish can be in almost full strength salt and then on the opposite side of the spectrum, virtually freshwater. :)
And yes, these fish are amazing; their response to marine/freshwater fluctuations are amazing.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Going to Petco, a worker was trying to sell a disabled after and his school aged daughter a fish bowl for a pretty little Betta, I walk over after the employee leaves and explain how they should really be housed and what they need he left with a 3g with filter gravel water conditioner good food a couple plants and promised me he would get a heater the next week and thanked me for all the help and keeping his daughter from crying in a couple of months

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Some older keepers -- who don't get out much -- call saltwater fish "tropical," I guess because that was the terminology when they were coming up.

Freshwater fish included Betta, Goldfish, Guppy, Angelfish, Paradise, Gourami, Tetra etc. Most don't need heaters, they tell me. There has been an increase in the number of "freshwater" species available that need warmer water. "Then get them a heater," is their response. Heating a tank from the outside was a real bother in the old days, I'm told.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Today at a small pet store they had a betta bowl. It wasn't a gallon bowl, it was maybe a half gallon bowl. In it was 1 plastic plant. And TWO FEMALES. Two. Females. In. One. Practically. Empty. Half. Gallon. Bowl. I probably don't have to mention that it is also not heated or filtered. Come on, pet store. You're a pet store. One lay barely alive only flaring once and a while, while the healthier of the two poked the weak one over and over. I feel terrible for people who can't manage a sorority in a lush 10 gallon while these fish manage to not kill other in an empty bowl.

·
Registered
609 Posts
We went to a pet store to get some feeders today and while looking at the bettas (all male, in terrible little .000001 gallon tealite bowls, one had some weird grey fungus covering half his body :-( ) I started to walk away until I noticed a tank labled "female bettas" with at least 3 girls in there, no cover what so ever. Everyone was fin-clamped and dull-colored, 2 girls were pecking eachother :(

I always hate going there, their fish section is atrocious but they have cheap feeders.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I mentioned this in my journal and a thread for the Betta that caused this, but I figured I'd post it here too.

I went into Petco a few days ago to look for a new Betta, and I saw this HMPK male, red and cello with a white face, with blue scales. He was gorgeous. When I walked away to look at the others and see if any others caught my eye, two kids with their mother had run over to the Bettas and said they wanted him because I guess the kids saw me looking at him, I don't know. The mother had a 0.5g Betta cube in hand. Keep in mind this HMPK is large (he's 1.7" BO), so I tried to educate them.

I told the mother that if they're going to get a Betta and want it to live for more than two weeks, they need a much bigger tank than that, a heater, water conditioner, and some decor for it to hide in to start. She looked at me like I was speaking a different language, didn't even say anything in response, and picked the PK I liked up. As a last ditch effort to keep them from buying him, I told her he looked sick and I wouldn't get him. She put him back (thank god), and went to look at the other Betta rack in the next aisle. I grabbed him and practically ran to the register with him. He's mine now. I'm pretty sure they did wind up getting a different Betta but what can ya do? I tried.

Those are the kind of people who make me hate pet stores. An employee was standing right there and didn't say anything either. I really wish they'd stop selling those horrible cubes, but it's a money maker, they never will. Or I wish they'd at least post a care sheet next to the Bettas.. They can have a sheet there with prices but not a sheet saying not to stick them in 0.5g cubes then wonder why they die in a week. I don't know why I bother trying to tell people how to care for them, that's exactly why I usually keep my mouth shut when I see something like that happening, but I wanted the Betta they decided to try to kill slowly.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My two favorite stores actually TRY to get people to buy the 3 Gallons and up tanks for Bettas. They do have the cubes but they tell them it's only for "photo purposes" or "temporary homes until they get a bigger tank set up." Today I went into one of them to by new plants, and I saw a 3 or 4 Gallon tank, with plants, sponge filter and a heater and a nice happy little HM boy

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If I had a pet store like that around me, I'd be the happiest person alive, not having the incredible urge to slap a Betta cube out of someone's hand and knock the whole rack of them down by 'accident' every time I go in there. My PetSmart is usually pretty good, a few times I've seen people go in there for a Betta and they recommend 2.5 gallon tanks, heaters and Prime, but even they have the Betta cubes on a rack directly under both Betta displays. They don't say anything unless they're asked about care. Oh, and they had one of those Finding Dory tank displays out with a Betta in it, gorgeous DTHM boy, half dead with no heater or any decor in it. They took it down, I guess he died.. But that person in Petco just irritated me, if you don't want your two bratty kids crying in a week's time when their poor little fish dies, maybe you should listen to the random helpful stranger trying to prevent that. If you're not prepared to spend at the very least $80 on a setup for a Betta, don't get one, it's very simple.

I'm turning this into the Rant Thread.. I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've seen stores try and shove cubes down customer's throats when they've brought a Betta.

A girl I work with has two MALE bettas in the same, undivided tank...she said it's a big tank and all she had was a filter. She heard me talking about my three with my supervisor and asked why hers weren't doing any good. I asked her why she had two males together and she told me "the guy at the store told me I could keep two together because they're fighting fish and it's what they do." I gave her all the information she needed and what to do if she wanted both fish to stay alive. She didn't tell me the name of the store because she couldn't remember but I suspect I know which one. She said she wanted a "low-maintenance" fish, as in, "sit-and-leave-it"

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
There is no pet, even plants, that can just be sit-and-leave-it. Everything needs at least weekly maintenance of some sort!

To be honest, I originally looked at bettas as the same thing because a friend of the family had one in a tiny bowl with half the water evaporated out. I figured they were just super tough. My daughter wanted a pet fish for her birthday. I did the research, though, and found out that an unheated, unfiltered bowl isn't ideal. Our ten gallon has grown a lot in the past two years.

The plant guy at Petsmart likes when I come in. He got excited when they changed their plant display tank. I didn't even know they had one before that because it was tucked in a corner. He had to show me the display tank with all the plants (and pond snails, ha!). When I go there, I always get at least one more plant. Gotta fill in those bare spots!

Reactions: mingking

·
Registered
780 Posts
Am I the only one who talks loudly to my family whenever I see someone looking at the bettas? Oh, these half-Gallon bowls are so terrible, aren't they..."

The first time I got a betta, we went to an LFS to see if they had five-Gallon tanks. This was a few years ago, but I believe the conversation went something like this:
"Hi! Do you have five Gallon tanks?"
"Let me look... what fish is it for?"
"A betta"
"Your getting a five Gallon for a BETTA?" He was clearly thinking 'are you crazy?'

Not sure if I posted that before. I don't think so.

There are always piles of dead goldfish in the bottom of the tank in our Petsmart. Ugh.

1061 - 1080 of 1080 Posts