Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cycling my tank for the first time. It's the 5-gallon Chi. I think I OD'd my tank on ammonia when I added more the other day... I was in a rush, my hand slipped and I dumped in a bit too much. Ammonia reading was off the chart (at least 8.0ppm on the API chart) a few days ago, so I did a 30% water change and added a little bit more water conditioner and some Nutrafin Cycle (figured why not?). Today the ammonia level is at somewhere between 2.0 and 4.0ppm, nitrItes are 0ppm and nitrAtes are 0ppm.

Now I'm completely paranoid though because it's been a week of no change and I wonder if I maybe accidentally killed my cycle. Do I need to drain the tank and start over?

Thanks for any help/advice.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Hmm. I don't think you did.. it can take around a week for it to start going down.. Just keep up the measurements and try and keep it at around 3ppm.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well I accidentally overdosed the ammonia after my cycle was getting started. I kept the ammonia too high for a few days actually. My cycle froze with the same readings daily. Then I did a large 90% to get the ammonia down and added a tetra safestart which I probably didn't need. My cycle still appeared frozen for about 4 days. Then my readings just plummeted and the cycle was done. So as long as you get the ammonia down which you have and don't wash your filter in tap water your cycle will pick up once the bacteria recover from the shock of the OD on ammonia.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a 4.0 ammonia reading tonight and a 2.0 nitrIte! I think we're starting to cycle!! Woooooooo!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I kinda killed mine too... bought one of those in-tank Amonia Alert things and added drop after drop every few minutes, waiting for it to change color. Nothing. I got frustrated and squeezed the bottle a bit hard... Yeah... the amonia alert thing changes, but it's very, very subtle and not accurate. Well, it's been 5 days and I checked it... ammonia was 0. I think maybe they only tell you not to add too much because that can throw off the cycle and make it take longer, but I'm not sure. Just wanted to say you weren't alone and that I think you'll be okay... if it doesn't seem to get better maybe do a 90% change? At least you'll still have bacteria in the substrate and filter that way. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone Indeed. Stupid tank cycling. Stupid wanting to have a healthy, happy fish! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts