Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock: By all means don't do this.
But, mine hasn't been eating too much so I was getting worried and looked that up. He's probably getting used to the new tank and not eating.
I feed him pellets. Maybe he's bored of them.
Do you know of any alternative foods for Betta?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Yes, they can last 2-4 weeks without food... IF they have to :) but it's bad for them.

I've had bettas not eat for weeks, because of being new or have been moved to a new tank.

Try minced garlic method! Take some of the arlic juice with a spoon, soak a pellet, give the pellet to the betta. MOST will not turn it down! Same with live foods.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! It worked. I am way too happy about this.
Thanks a lot. :)
Also, the current from my filter kind of pushes my food away in a circular motion, and at the outflow it'll "fly away to the side". I already baffled it and don't think its too strong.
My Betta got to the sinking ones faster. The ones that move he makes into a sort of game, but it's more difficult for him and he'll give up sometimes.
I really appreciate it! ^_^

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
no problem!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Try freeze dried blood worms perhaps? They look like they're "wiggling" when the current moves them, which really attracts the betta, because it looks alive. I found he ignores the pellets for a minute or two then eats them, but the blood worms he eats right away, whereas when he was in still water, he let both foods sit for a minute or so.

Note, freeze dried foods should not make up the base of their diet, as they are meant as "treats" or occasional meals, because they aren't "complete" like pellets. Feed a variety of foods though - thats the best way to make sure they don't get bored with their food, and also to ensure they're getting all their nutrients :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I got frozen bloodworms =D I have never seen my bettas so enthusiastic about dead food :lol:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Definitely :lol: something aught to make the betta eat LOL

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I got my baby to eat it too ;-)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Born May 10 this year. So... a month old.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Lol I try getting pics, but the baby blends into the background LOL

Awesome!! My fighter FINALLY made a bubble nest.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Question about feeding: I saw online once that if your betta's belly looks like it' bulging, you fed it way too much. But then online I see a lot of photos with bettas with bugling bellies. What's the story? I am afraid to feed them too much.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
My crowntail male always has that look./...Not SBD, just a rounder/boxy belly. You'll find that younger bettas (breeders bettas) tend to have a rounder belly because they are fed more. For the pictures on google, take in mind some of those bettas belong/ed to people who just overfeed.... Or use the instructions on the bottle of food x.x

Mine don't get round bellies, except the youngin', females I am conditioning are a bit more fed, same with conditioned males, and greedy bettas of course :lol: I watched my baby take the biggest bloodworm and take off :roll:

There is a difference however, with a "full belly" and a "bloated belly". Bloated can cause SBD, which is why many recommend pellets VS flakes because it is easier to monitor the amount fed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The bottom should probably always be slightly rounded, but not huge. If it looks disproportionate, it probably is bloat. If it looks like its preggo, it's probably bloat. Feed no more than 6 pellets a day though and you shouldn't have any problems. Feeding at two or three different times during the day helps too, so some food is digested partially before more is introduced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts