Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Generally with bloat you will see other signs/symptoms along with the enlarged tummy....buoyancy, clamp fins, lethargic, hiding, stops eating and pooping to name a few of the most common S/S you can see with bloat....

It is normal for the tummy to look rotund after meals and some fin types and/or body shapes the tummy can look more rotund as well...like crowntail and doubletail....

With normal digestion the tummy should decrease in size-often if the fish food is high in grains and grain byproducts they can cause pathogenic bacteria that multiply fast and these gases can cause distended abdomen...

Often if its the food that is causing distended abdomen you need to change foods to a higher quality fish/seafood base-You don't want to soak the food since it can leach nutrients and water soluble vitamins-fish have lots of enzymes and gastric acid that will break the food down for digestion and absorption.....

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh, Maybe it's his Crowntail-ness. He is not clamped or anything, not as active as Lakitu was but I think he's still getting used to me and his new home. I have been target training him to come when I tap the water with my bloodworm-feeder ^.^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts