Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigfreid did. Now I'm kind of at the end of my rope with high quality bettas.
Bedru was my first betta and he got sick and passed.
Arcnologia's death was a complete fluke, he didn't like traveling and I understand a 5 hour car trip in December is a lot.
Mesmer was chronically sick, I don't even know how much money I put into keeping him alive and well. Now he is old and chronically lethargic, always on the verge of death one day and lively the next.
Now two weeks after moving sigfreid has disappeared into thin air. He isn't in the tank, in the filter or light, in the furniture, on the furniture, on the floor, i mean that room is still pretty barren, so unless he was kidnapped....
I'm not even angry or sad is the worst part, just kind of like "well that happened... Dammit" because I'm so used to losing healthy fish out of the blue, whereas my sickly fish is immortal. I may or may not get another to replace him, I'm not sure. I'll probably just give Mesmer the whole tank. *sigh*

·
Registered
772 Posts
Oh, how awful!

Did you empty out the whole tank and check everything? Or maybe look under furniture too - I've found a couple of my RC shrimp underneath furniture before :-/

Tanks always need covers!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
When my girl disappeared a month ago, I checked the filter. I checked it again, and again, and again. After freaking out for a day and giving a frantic clean of my room, I found her....in the filter. The first few times I looked she was in a part of it that the light didn't hit easily and I didn't see her until she surfaced.

Good luck in finding your buddy. Any loss is hard, but when you're finding yourself wondering if alien abduction is actually possible, it's especially hard.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I lost an angel fish that way once years ago. To this day, I have no idea what happened to that fish.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tank had an acrylic lid! It has a 2" feeding hole and a 1" hole for the heater wire and filter tubes.
It's a sponge filter, and I didn't break down the whole tank because it's a divided tank but we did take out the filter and most of the plants/gravel looking for him. Went under the furniture, nothing.
Every non-betta-obsessed friend's first response was "did the other fish eat him?" And I gotta be like no, my small sickly purple fish didn't eat my dark blue half moon who was almost twice his size.
It's unnerving wondering where the body is, but my mom supposedly lost an albino dwarf frog in her first apartment, same thing, never found it. So thanks for passing down the tradition mom. *sigh*

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have guinea pigs in the other room, that's it. You can see the hole he would have had to go through, but either he jumped and disappeared or someone broke into my apt. And stole him... There were water droplets on the dresser they're on, but no "trail"

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sounds like hes jumped out then. Which is a lot easier for them then we actually think. Once their out of water they are incredibly hard to find, all fins and everything kind of stuck on themselves giving them the illusion that their no bigger then a French fry (the size of a clamped up fish with no fins), and they will be dark, likely blending in with furniture they you've likely passed over. It can be very easy to pass by a fish that's jumped from the tank with out noticing.
Grab some super bright flash lights and keep looking.
But this was last night so he has likely passed away by now if he did jump. You may still yet find a body.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was the night before last. We were using our led Comcast flashlight (thanks Comcast) but unless he burrowed into the shallow carpet... We did a pretty intensive 2 hour 3 person search. :( (well 2.5, I wasn't doing so well mentally at the time)

We're gonna move stuff around in that room sometime this week, maybe we'll find him then

·
Registered
60 Posts
I lost my girl Addison from a sorority about a month ago. Ripped the entire tank apart and spent 10 hours sifting the gravel. Inspected every plant on a towel. The room only has a wood floor and the buffet cabinet which holds the tank (changing furniture around and the room was empty). I used a trouble light (the kind of flashlight on a long cord with a steel cage around it, like a plumber would use), and searched the entire room for a month now. Unless the other girls ate her she simply evaporated into thin air. When she vanished I had seen her an hour before. I can't believe in that one hour they would have killed her and eaten every remnant including her bones? Betta girl mouths are so small. I am still stupefied. None of the other fish looked bloated or acted like they'd just committed a murder. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You aren't alone.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Do you have a shag carpet by any chance? Once when Java jumped out of his tank I was looking and looking and finally (just in time) found him clamped and shriveled tucked in the shag carpet. I actually had to lay on the floor to see him there!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm really sorry about your fish. That really sucks. I can't believe he managed to jump that high. my fish can barely make it 2 centimeters.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, it is a carpet but not shag, and yes it might be aliens

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

Yes it happens. A couple of decades ago, I had my share of vanishing bettas (not at once). Their tanks and jars were totally covered. 2 of which were already dead - I thought I would clean it after work. But I couldn't find the bodies when I returned. The others were healthy and very much alive. . . I still can't explain what (probably) happened. . . . so, yeah, aliens might have taken them.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I know it sounds awful but if the betta was dead or had jumped out of the tank, it's possible some kind of rodent got hold of the body. A rat or mouse can fit anywhere that their head can fit and they live in all types of homes (doesn't matter if it's a house, apartment, super clean and supposedly sealed, they can find ways).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.