Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im furious. PetSmart trip from hell...

4 dead bettas out of 25 or so. Im seriously so mad.

This poor guy had some external aprasite disease that ripped right through his skin and scales... Not even worth rescuing because he wont make it...

This dead VT has mold covering him and his eyes came out of his sockets and were floating at the top of the water. Now you cant tell me thats a fresh death. Nice.

Dead marble VT

Five 12-inch Koi Goldfish in this 20 gallon... these guys grow up to 36-inches.. why even bother trying to sell them if you're just going to cram them in a small living space.

This overstocked 20 gallon with goldfish... the goldfish were feeding on the dead fish as you can see at the top and bottom.

But I did manage to kind of rescue this Yellow CT. He is a gift for my brother for doing so good in school this year and a good starter gift for getting into the wonderful hobby of fish keeping.

He has bad fin clamp and also velvet. But for my brother, experience with sick fish is good for the future. This Crowntail is doing really well in his home right now and hopefully he gets better!

The water from the cup... 1 moldy pellet.

And the pH

Thanks for the read!

Matt

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
OMG Poor babies! :(
I wonder hoe often they clean the cups out. o_O

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
first guy looks to have a tumor, not a parasite.....

and it's common for pet stores to 'cram' fish into too-small tanks. it's not great, but they don't often sit there very long.... the dead fish are uncalled for, though. 8I they should check for dead or dying fish more often than they do... as are the moldy bettas. that's just horrid...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
It is heartbreaking, and It's at Petco too, I saw the same fish conditions, with fish attacking the dead ones, and eating half dead ones alive..it was disgusting..and my daughter even called the staff over to let them know..and it was like "Oh yea, we'll get to them later" and walked away..

last time I was there- the betta's on the bottom of the rack, were mostly VT's and mostly with fins like so deteriorated, and floating in the water..I was soo peeved..and the best ones, the newest ones on the top..like DT's and ct's but those were amazing..very clean water, and I was surprized..but the "King's" who looked like they were healthy..but could barely turn around.. I hate seeing them in those prison cups from hell.. I want to rescue all the Kings.. if I only could.:(

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Aus I forgot to add finrot, thanks for the reminder!
@teeneythebetta, All my past experiences were good, besides this one..
@Luimeril OK thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Petsmart has the worst betta conditions of any pet store I've been in, chain or local. it really IS disgusting. They're opening a Petsmart close to me, but I will probably drive the extra 15 minutes to Petco. can't vouch for every petco, but the one by me takes very good care of their fish as far as pet stores go.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
My PETco is pretty decent with their bettas. Occasionally I see dead ones, but the water is kept *perfectly* clean every time I go there. Their fish section is in the middle of the store and it's BIG and seems to be the main focus :)

My petsmart tends to have dirty water. :/

But YMMV :/

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
My Petsmart treats the Bettas better!!! They all should be treated nicely!!
My Petsmart just labels them wrong. They listed a CROWNTAIL for a HALFMOON. Like really!! The CT looks pretty. Be careful with the Fin Rot.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
My Petsmart treats the Bettas better!!! They all should be treated nicely!!
My Petsmart just labels them wrong. They listed a CROWNTAIL for a HALFMOON. Like really!! The CT looks pretty. Be careful with the Fin Rot.
Lol FAIL.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love Petsmart, I drive the extra half-hour instead of PetCetera which is local. But this time I was deavastated with the conditions... not much I could do...

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
the tumor boy might be worth it. my brother recently lost his betta who had a tumor on his back that ate off his dorsal. so, logically, he could live a long, happy life, even with a tumor on his side....

my local PetSmart was just..... ugh. every. single. betta had SBD... i bought the only one that didn't, and he died that night. 8I

PetCo was pretty, though. one dead betta, that they put away right away. all the cups were clean, no one was ill.... it was nice~

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
petsmart here seems to be OK but its 40 miles away so I dont go there often. Petco is horrible. Last guy I got from there had an ammonia that that turned blue in less then a minute

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Petsmart is just as bad about it =(
There are always dead ones and the ones that aren't dead are usually kept in gross dirty water. It's so hard to go in there and not rescue all of them...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I will probably leave a strongly worded letter the next time I set foot into a pet store with those kinds of conditions. (And I say letter because 95% of the time, you can't find an employee to help you when you need something in the fish department!)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
That is so heartbreaking D: At petsmart we're supposed to change half the water twice a week. Really sad they expect them to live like that. At my petsmart my manager has us change it completely twice a week because the water will test at dangerous levels if we do it the way the company wants us to. The petcare manager also lets us refuse to sell Koi if the owner doesn't have a massive massive aquarium or pond. We also have anyone bringing home a koi sign the form we use to sell the other pets which we don't have to do. We really stress to people the responsibility of having a koi.

Some people get really mad about the koi too and we have to call over the store manager. We ask them what tank size they have and try to investigate what they plan to do with the fish. When they find out we can refuse them if they don't have a big tank/pond they start lying and pretending they have do just so they can bring them home. We sell our koi very slowly because of that but at least they go to good homes.

This petsmart makes me so sad, they shouldn't have to be in those conditions.

·
Registered
490 Posts
That is so heartbreaking D: At petsmart we're supposed to change half the water twice a week. Really sad they expect them to live like that. At my petsmart my manager has us change it completely twice a week because the water will test at dangerous levels if we do it the way the company wants us to. The petcare manager also lets us refuse to sell Koi if the owner doesn't have a massive massive aquarium or pond. We also have anyone bringing home a koi sign the form we use to sell the other pets which we don't have to do. We really stress to people the responsibility of having a koi.

Some people get really mad about the koi too and we have to call over the store manager. We ask them what tank size they have and try to investigate what they plan to do with the fish. When they find out we can refuse them if they don't have a big tank/pond they start lying and pretending they have do just so they can bring them home. We sell our koi very slowly because of that but at least they go to good homes.

This petsmart makes me so sad, they shouldn't have to be in those conditions.
I also work at a Petsmart, and we are not allowed to refuse sale of fish. I find it infinitely frustrating. You want me to CARE (our motto!) but also I'm just supposed to let people put whatever they want in whatever tank while gently encouraging them to do it correctly, but if they are bound and determined, I have to sell to them, end of story. Thankfully we do not sell koi carp.

I am new enough that I don't know the betta cup schedule yet. I do know it won't be as often as it should be.

The high PH is likely from the water they use, and isn't as large a problem for some fish than for others. From what I know, bettas can do ok even in hard water, but it can effect crowntail rays. The comets and rosies being "crammed" is typical, but keep in mind that stores have MASSIVE filters, and all the tanks are connected together. Yes, they are overstocked, but the filters are designed for that.

The dead fish are unacceptable tho :/ Sometimes you will miss one, or one will pass during the day, but having multiple dead fish in the tank at a time means that no one is checking on them.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Wow. That's horrible. My petsmart is really good. :/

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am very disappointed. At least this doesn't happen very often.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oh noo. :( Sorry that you have to experience that.. I'm sorry taht one eye one didn't make it.. He would of been popular!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts