Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to upgrade 2 of my guys from a 5 gallon and a 1.5 gallon to a divided 10 gallon. I've never had a divided tank before so I have some questions. I'll be making a DIY divider with craft mesh and report cover spines attached to the tank walls with aquarium sealant. Here are my questions...

What is the best way to avoid them getting across the divider? I've heard of creating a "no man's land," keeping the water level a few inches lower than the divider, and making the divider high enough that there is no space between the hood and the divider to jump through. What is the best method or is it a combo of those?

What kind of filter should I get and where should I place it? Where should I place the heater? I also have an ornament with an airstone, is there any special place that should go?

I have a snail (which may or may not be dead. It hasn't moved for days but it doesn't smell and everyone says it will smell so I haven't removed it yet.) Where should he go if he is still alive? Will he be able to freely move between the sections if I leave a gap between the hood and the top of the divider?

I have this idea of attaching some silk leaves to the craft mesh divider to reduce visibility between the two sides and make it look prettier. Are silk plants from craft stores aquarium safe?

Is there anything else I need to know?

·
Registered
127 Posts
My divider was purchased from petsmart. So idk how yo compare it to the one you will build....but,

As far as filtering options...the best way to go, Sponge Filers!

Amazon.com has hundreds of sizes to choose from. Ive bought the smallest ones for under $2. Shippimgs not bad either. But since youre crafty, youtube has some DIY sponge filter videos too.

My fish room has a space heater, so I just have one heater in the middle. More so a back up heater for when im not home. I love divided tanks, but I always end up buying a bigger tank and another tank is updated/expanded.

Silk plants im not sure about. Id worry about the dyes,chemicals they soak most in from craft stores. Id recommend silk aquatic plants or live plants. Ive bought 2pks of the " 3 foot long artificial bamboo plant" from amazon. I love them!! You can pull them apart at any angle and put it back together as one big plant.

I see them at petco/petsmart constantly. About $16. Amazon is cheaper of course.

Your snails prolly ok. If he is enclosed or "sealed" chances are he is alive. One of my snails disappeared over a week and I found him stuck inside my log. Took an hr to get him out. He didnt move for days after I QT him. He is fine now. And grew dramatically .

Hope this helps a lil bit. Always do your research. and good luck!! :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you're handy, you can cut an acrylic sheet to sit on the lip of the tank that has holes for the filter opening, heater cord, and divider. Then there would be no space for a betta to jump over the divider. My tank good just sat on top of it. But the simpler solution is to keep the water level low.

I put lots of plants by the divider to help block the view. It didn't stop them from seeing each other, but it did help. I think they would prefer to not have a clear view of the other side and have a constant reminder that there is another male.

As for filter, I had one on each side. I would try to keep the heater near the middle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone!

Now if only I could fine those report cover spines to make my divider! Can't find them in any stores. Walmart switched to only carrying report covers with these metal clips and I'm certainly not putting THAT it my tank!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone!

Now if only I could fine those report cover spines to make my divider! Can't find them in any stores. Walmart switched to only carrying report covers with these metal clips and I'm certainly not putting THAT it my tank!
I had trouble finding them too, Walmart and Target had NONE. Finally went to either OfficeMax or Office Depot (can't remember!) And they had a pack of 6. :) so if there are any office supply stores, try there!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If you can't find the report spines let me know and I'll grab a pack and send them to you. :)

As for your other questions, I've always done sponge filters, just one in the middle against the divider, and the heater on that same side, as close to the middle as you can without actually touching the divider. This has worked great. :)

Silk plants from Dollar General, Walmart, Joanne's, Hobby Lobby, etc. are safe. Just rinse them really well and put them into a bucket of water for a couple of days to make sure they don't cloud the water. I've never had it happen with all sorts from all over, but I've heard from other people that they've had some issues with this a time or two. Making your own plants is SO MUCH CHEAPER than buying them. :) And you can control what they look like/make them look much more natural. :)

I've never bothered with the no-man's land because I want my guys to have maximum room. If you keep the divider about two inches above the water level (and the divider can come up above the lip of the tank if you need it to for those couple of inches so that you can keep your water level high) I haven't ever had anyone jump over it.

I did the silk leaves hot glued to the craft mesh over a year ago and it definitely helped the boys on either side feel safe and less flaring. Leave some gaps in there, you don't want it entirely covered, but a smattering of them really helps.

The snail may try to cross over, but likely as not he won't be able to. Since you are gluing in the dividers, you don't have to worry about him pushing them over, but he would probably be happier with a buddy. I just put two in there and move them from one side to the other every few days so that they can clean both sides. :) Normally they move at least a little every day...if you reach in and pull him out, check his little foot-plate, if you slip your fingernail inside and pull very, very gently and meet resistance, he's okay and alive. If he opens right up, he's probably gone to snail Heaven. :(

As Briz said, you have options in terms of a canopy or hood.
- You can do a traditional hood (Which I don't like, but that's *TOTALLY* personal preference, absolutely nothing to do with any practical reason, just aesthetics, lol!) -- A glass versa top (for a 10g it'll run you about 15$, and has a section in the back to cut out for filter and heater cords)
- A piece of plexi (I tried this, it does tend to bow somewhat under lights, so flip it over every day to straighten, but works well. Also, not too hard to cut, you'll need to get a plexi knife and a large metal ruler to act as a straight edge. Mark your cuts, and then cut...and cut...and cut...and cut, it'll take several passes to score deeply enough into the plexi so that then you can set it against a straight, solid edge (like a table) and pop it off the rest of the way.)
- A couple of sections of picture frame glass (either cut to size at Lowe's or salvaged from existing 10x12 picture frames) laid on the top of the tank
- A sliding Glass Lid. This is my favorite, and here's a DIY youtube video on it. Just make sure you get glass cut that is at least 1/8 of an inch thick. My lowe's only had 1/32nd, and it's too thin. I went to a local glass shop and they did a better job (polished the edges for me at no charge, so no sharp edges, yay!) and did it for cheaper. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3RK80xPSDQ

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions Blue Fish! Unfortunately my snail is definitely dead. After 2 weeks of no movement I pulled him out of the tank for the sniff test again and he smelled like pure sewage. I hope it wasn't something I did. I only had him for about a month, maybe less.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have had rotten luck with snails as well, my water is very acidic and it didn't occur to me that this would be a problem for him until it was too late. :(

I just did a 20 gallon divided 3 ways with the no-man's land and neither of them can see each other at all so everything is very peaceful, but it's all personal preference. You don't need it to be a very large area if you do decide to do that. I found the report covers at Staples.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.