Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it would be okay to make the gravel higher on one side of my divided tank for my (much) older, slower swimming, VT? will this cause any issues? I was thinking of making it twice the height of the other side. Maybe 2.5" of gravel.

I just want to make it a little easier for him to swim to the surface - he's been resting a lot more as days go by (still eating and pooping). I don't know if this will help any though?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
It could help, but it will also reduce the volume of water in the tank, which is less good. I would suggest instead giving him lots of things closer to the surface - the Zoomed betta hammocks and floating betta log, broad-leafed plants for him to rest on - these will all give him resting spots near to the water so he won't have to swim far from hiding/resting spots to breathe. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your advice, Bombalurina! He does have a betta log - which he loves - and a bunch of plants that he'll rest on from time to time. (I didn't get the hammock though because I read the horror stories here.) But he still sometimes rests on the bottom of the tank.
I guess he's fine then... just wanted to make sure he was comfortable.

(btw - I always love seeing your user pic! I love ratties too!)

·
Registered
980 Posts
OMB, can I ask if your tank is heated?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it does have a heater. Right now I'm in the middle of a move and they are both in individual 2gal keepers with no heaters but the thermometer registers around 78. (I live in southern az and right now outside heat is mid 90s to low 100 deg F. Inside stays pretty warm.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts