Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to the fish keeping world, but so far so good with Tesla, who I've had for just about 2 months now. I'm starting to think about getting more fish, but I can't afford a bunch of expensive individual tanks and I really don't like the bow style tanks which seem to be the cheapest option. I was thinking of getting a long 20 gallon and dividing it into 3 or 4 sections so I can get a few more fish without having tanks on every flat surface in my house. What's the best way to divide a tank? How does filtration work with the dividers? I've looked for dividers and I can't find any that aren't made for those horrific 1/2 gallon plastic prisons.

This isn't something I'm rushing to do tomorrow or anything like that. I'm just planning for the future.

·
Super Moderator
19,506 Posts
Here is mine. I wanted a community tank; thus, the larger section in the middle. There are .25" holes in the acrylic dividers so the fish (Endlers, Pygmy Cories, Dwarf Panda Guppies) have the full tank while Emerson, Leander Shaw and Little Willie are confined to their own sections. A 20 long is 30 x 12 x 12.

Angle doesn't show it, but the end sections are nearly equal. I have an internal filter with spray bar in each section and a 50 watt heater in the two ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
RusselTheShihTzu- that's a really awesome tank! Both in the way it looks and also in the way it's made so that the other fish can get through to all sections but the bettas can't.

jackfaz- You can make your own dividers out of craft mesh/plastic canvas that you can buy at a craft store, and the spines to those plastic report covers. I think there's a thread here somewhere on how to make them, but really you can figure it out yourself, I think. I have a 10 gallon tank, and the width of the mesh plus the binders on each edge fit perfectly (don't even need glue to keep them in place). I just had to cut the height to the right measurement.

·
Super Moderator
19,506 Posts
Thank you, Orange. Doesn't look like that now. I'm always rescaping. :)

There are several youtube videos on how to make acrylic dividers as well. I really like the craft mesh dividers but only used acrylic because of the community tank angle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts