Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a divider that has slits in it. So the males can see each other. Will this stress them? Or kill them? Also I haven't invested in a heater yet, is that a must? Petco says no of course :/ I've found they aren't very accurate!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, 100% a heater is necessary. Most here will tell you a 2.5 is much too small to divide for housing two males. I'm inclined to agree, especially after seeing my male in a ten gallon. I could take him down to 2.5 if I wanted, but any less space than that would be cruel.

Never listen to petco, unless someone starts telling you how you need at least 2.5 gallons, a heater, and thermometer to really have your betta live happily. I work at Pet Supplies Plus and make sure all potential betta owners know this. As far as dividers, if you had a proper sized tank, from what I've heard bettas will get used to each other after a time. However, most will place plenty of plants in between to lessen how much the males see each other. Most seem to agree that you need at least 5 gallons to divide.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm okay thank you. :) I may have to give one up or just save. I can get the heater now but to go bigger on a tank would be hard. For one to be in a 2.5 would be better? Or I just flat out need to go bigger?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
220 Posts
One in a 2.5 is fine. You do need to do weekly full water changes, as it's very difficult to cycle small tanks. Like I said, dividing a 5 gallon would be fine as well, if you wanted to return the 2.5 and spend a few extra dollars to be able to keep the second fish. Only one good heater is necessary for a divided tank, as long as there's water flow between the two sides. You could also cycle a five gallon, and sponge filters are inexpensive. It's not necessary, but full water changes for five gallons might prove to be a bit much for you.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I'll look into that stuff :/ thank you!! I appreciate the help.
Petco is telling me all the wrong things and it's very frustrating.

This is what they told me is perfect D:

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
220 Posts
*Sigh* Yeah, they do that. Those bettas are only getting about 1.25 gallons apiece. Not very much. Most won't keep bettas in anything less than 2.5. That tank is wonderful for one, however, and maybe a couple of shrimp or a snail, no divider. If you want to upgrade later, it's okay for a temporary tank, but they really need something bigger than that.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I would get a heater right away, and then I'd worry about upgrading. I sure as anything would not want to give up one of my babies. They should do fine with a 50% and a 100% water change a week, for a few weeks until you can get another tank and heater. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Also you will want to remove the bamboo. It is not a true aquatic plant and will begin to rot if it is kept submerged.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Oh yea. You'll want to keep it in a vase full of water for it's roots, but it's leaves should be out of water. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I'm working on the heater issue right now :)
I did remove the bamboo and find a new home for them
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts