Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, everyone!

I need some advice for dividing a 10gal tank. Due to some circumstances - which, if it interests you, you can read about below - my current female may be getting a roommate soon.

I've done some searching on the web, and apparently a DIY divider made of black needlepoint mesh is the best way to go? Also, there are a lot of conflicting reports on the dangers of keeping a female and a male in a divided tank. Can anyone clear the water for me about this "egg-bound" thing and whatnot? As much as I want to save this new fish, Winters means a lot to me, and I'd hate for anything to happen to her.

Thanks in advance!

Some unnecessary background on the situation and also me venting a little bit (feel free to skip!):
One of the IB Bio classes in my high school was doing a mesocosm project and some of the students used fish in theirs. I saw a couple of tetras and gold fish crammed into half a liter bottle's worth of water. Ugh! >:I

Anyway, this last Friday, they were dismantling the mesocosms, and it seems like there were a lot of fish left behind because the students didn't actually want to keep them. During class, my teacher walked in with a male betta and said that she got a new "class pet" from them. She put him in a wide beaker with some gravel and a plastic plant and I became super concerned.

Firstly, it was less than a gallon, with no lid, heater, or filter. The water was cloudy, almost sandy-looking (and it literally gave me stress dreams about my fish last night), and the plastic plant was barely tall enough to reach over the betta, let alone serve as a hiding place. It looked like one of the stiff plastic ones that might tear, too.

The betta itself - a big ol' male - looked very miserable. He was a very dull aquamarine color, with clamped fins, stress stripes, and a red streak near his face that I wasn't sure whether it was some kind of wound or burn or just natural coloring. He swam around the top of the tank for a little bit and then crammed himself under the plant at the bottom of the tank.

I offered my spare 5gal and extra heater for her use, and she told me that she would only take it if I were willing to set up the tank myself. I went home, talked with my sister, paced around my house for a while, and then shot her an email saying I was very serious about their care and that I would take him off her hands if she didn't think she could maintain him, so now once the weekend's over, he's mine.

If he even survives the weekend. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They survived the weekend! I have them in a five gallon nursing tank right now.

I have my suspicions the new fish is actually a female though. I'm gonna post another thread asking for help gendering.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Good luck, and thank you for rescuing him or her! It really irks me when those sorts of things happen, as if fish were just inanimate objects and not living animals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have my male and female in a divided tank and I haven't run into any major problems yet.. I've had them both for almost a year and a half. I use plastic mesh sheets from Michael's and plastic binder holders for notebooks from Walmart. Here's a picture of my divided tanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot!

I won't be dividing the tank until two weeks from now, due to ongoing ich treatment, but if anything comes up, I'll be sure to ask. It's my first time having to divide a tank, so the advice of someone a little more seasoned is really helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts