Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, everyone!

I need some advice for dividing a 10gal tank. Due to some circumstances - which, if it interests you, you can read about below - my current female may be getting a roommate soon.

I've done some searching on the web, and apparently a DIY divider made of black needlepoint mesh is the best way to go? Also, there are a lot of conflicting reports on the dangers of keeping a female and a male in a divided tank. Can anyone clear the water for me about this "egg-bound" thing and whatnot? As much as I want to save this new fish, Winters means a lot to me, and I'd hate for anything to happen to her.

Thanks in advance!

Some unnecessary background on the situation and also me venting a little bit (feel free to skip!):
One of the IB Bio classes in my high school was doing a mesocosm project and some of the students used fish in theirs. I saw a couple of tetras and gold fish crammed into half a liter bottle's worth of water. Ugh! >:I

Anyway, this last Friday, they were dismantling the mesocosms, and it seems like there were a lot of fish left behind because the students didn't actually want to keep them. During class, my teacher walked in with a male betta and said that she got a new "class pet" from them. She put him in a wide beaker with some gravel and a plastic plant and I became super concerned.

Firstly, it was less than a gallon, with no lid, heater, or filter. The water was cloudy, almost sandy-looking (and it literally gave me stress dreams about my fish last night), and the plastic plant was barely tall enough to reach over the betta, let alone serve as a hiding place. It looked like one of the stiff plastic ones that might tear, too.

The betta itself - a big ol' male - looked very miserable. He was a very dull aquamarine color, with clamped fins, stress stripes, and a red streak near his face that I wasn't sure whether it was some kind of wound or burn or just natural coloring. He swam around the top of the tank for a little bit and then crammed himself under the plant at the bottom of the tank.

I offered my spare 5gal and extra heater for her use, and she told me that she would only take it if I were willing to set up the tank myself. I went home, talked with my sister, paced around my house for a while, and then shot her an email saying I was very serious about their care and that I would take him off her hands if she didn't think she could maintain him, so now once the weekend's over, he's mine.

If he even survives the weekend. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They survived the weekend! I have them in a five gallon nursing tank right now.

I have my suspicions the new fish is actually a female though. I'm gonna post another thread asking for help gendering.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What pretty fish! :eek:

Thanks for your input. I'm going this weekend to get binder holders and plastic mesh.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot!

I won't be dividing the tank until two weeks from now, due to ongoing ich treatment, but if anything comes up, I'll be sure to ask. It's my first time having to divide a tank, so the advice of someone a little more seasoned is really helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts