Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got one betta in a heated, filtered/cycled tank. Xerxes. I also have his old home, a 20-L with a large school of harl. rasboras - also heated, filtered. (the school and betta were stressing each other out; I bought the 5 and separated them.)

I'm wanting to rehome the rasboras and divide the 20 to hold two bettas.

HOWEVER, I have no idea how to do this successfully. I've seen people divide the tank with two "layers" of plastic/mesh kind of stuff? with a gap in between for the filter and heater. I love this idea; nobody gets a direct current from the filter, and the tank will heat evenly.

But I don't know what kind of material to use as the divider(s), or how to get them to stay straight upright and also not bend to open spacebetween the sections! Ack!

I won't be getting any bettas until the tank is completely ready, don't worry.

Thank you,

Grace

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
hi there!

I have two divided 10gals. I used that craft mesh and some rulers and some tiny little zip ties to make the dividers ( they defiantly arent beautiful, so if you want a more sleek look then dont make it that way haha) Ive seen people use almost everything to create them with, as long as it resists water, can be made to have good flow, and wont harm your bettas, you can use just about anything...get creative!!

I used GE I door and window ( NO additives or mold aways) 100% silicone so secure them in place

I did leave a space in the middle for the filter, buy you know im still not sure thats how i like them... i mean yeah I dont have to be worrying about my poor betta getting sucked up in the filter, but I think having two smaller filters on both sides might be better to keep it a little cleaner...im not sure, but I have one with a bare bottom, and since the dividers are in there, it just circulates the water (not a big deal, thats all some filters do, like a sponge filter) it doesnt really suck up the waste and all that extra plant junk, witch does and doesnt bother me at the same time...so just really really really think everything through before you decide to do it.

other then that the only other thing I have to add is, measure twice, cut once haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts