Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had a fish in my life and im very worried that my betta will bite me. I have read that they do and can bite if you put ur finger in their tank. Is this true? im very worried

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
They're not like... piranhas. It's not a "bite" as much as a tiny pinch, and more amusing then scary (than it can be a little shock the first time).

My daughter's fish doesn't bite at all, but mine will leap out of the water to nip - he's a greedy, highly aggressive fish.

You just can't tell which ones will bite. But it's absolutely nothing to worry about, it's not like they can cause an injury.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
It's very tru but it doesn't hurt because they really don't grab your skin. It just feels like they are touching your with their mouths.
I have a sorority and everytime I put my hand in they act like pirahnas! They are just hoping you have food, it's not maliciously.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok im just a very cautious person and am very afraid of fish i was told they didnt bite but later learned they had the ability to.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I had one male bite me before and he didn't let go -_- But other than that one out of hundreds of bettas I've had over the years has bitten me.

Actually them biting is interesting. I read somewhere that bettas, if larger, would have more powerful bites than a great white shark. Interesting. But of course our bettas will never hurt you with a bite.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean all the fish you have had they have all bitten you?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
No lol. Only one male, out of hundreds of bettas, has bitten me lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
o lol thanks so much im not sure when i should try putting my fingers in his aquarium

·
Registered
980 Posts
How to explain this.. A betta bite has about as much pressure as your figure uses to press a key on your computer keyboard.. maybe less. You don't feel a "bite" really, more like something poking you that isn't sharp. An eraser or something. I doubt anyone has ever gotten a bruise or had blood drawn by a betta. It would take a HUGE betta to do that.

They don't have teeth, and as far as them being "Fighting fish" goes, if that's the root of your concern, a betta's tail is very delicate, so if a betta bites a betta tail, it might do damage, but that's like you or I biting a chunk out of toilet paper. Betta fins are easy to damage. Your finger is not.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put my finger near his tank and he freaked out. Im thinking i should give him more time before i start trying to play with him correct?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put my fingers near my betta coles tank and he freaked out so im guessing he needs more time to adjust correct?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I would say so. If mine are new I usually don't bother them until their next water change. They can be skittish in a new home like any animal of any breed or species can.

p.s. My sorority girls have tryed to bite me before. It doesn't hurt at all. It just feels funny. I laughed afterward.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info im just really new at this and never ever had a fish before

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
They don't have teeth, and as far as them being "Fighting fish" goes, if that's the root of your concern, a betta's tail is very delicate, so if a betta bites a betta tail, it might do damage, but that's like you or I biting a chunk out of toilet paper. Betta fins are easy to damage. Your finger is not.
Bettas do have teeth, and very sharp ones. I was hoping I could find a picture of FB a breeder took recently of a betta's mouth.

BUT they won't hurt you. It's like you trying to sink your teeth into the skin of a very large watermelon suspended in the air, it just won't happen!

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Is this the one, Vilmarisv?

They don't have the kind of teeth that we mammals have. They're more like sharp raised bumps in their jaw cartilage. Tough enough to crush snails and copepods and shrimp and insect bodies and hard dry pellets. But not enough to hurt you.

There's a parallel thread about biting going on right now. It's very funny.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great picture!! Excellent detail.....though I don't see any teeth....I've owned bettas for years....and my current betta has an exquiste mosaic pattern of black and blue on his head and back....I'm trying to capture on film....any tips?
As for bites....go to Discovery Channel :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks

Thanks for your help! I plan on making a website about bettas since i think they are very cool fish!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts