Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have two male betta fish, I keep them in separate square stackable tanks. Am I required to put them in a 2.5 gallon tank and do they have to have heaters? My bettas are happy and healthy. They make bubbles in their tanks, and I only feed them once a day 3 pellets and a tiny bit of dried blood worms. All in all they are good to go and I only have to change the water out about every 2 weeks to a month. :-D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey! It's actually kind of a debate whether or not bettas need heaters because they can survive in lower temperatures, but I believe that bettas should always have a heater because they are tropical fish and prefer 78-82˚ F. They also don't just prefer the temperature being higher, but the steadiness of the temperature. If the temperature is constantly changing then it can put them under stress and hurt their immunity. I would also suggest getting at least a 2.5 gal for each of your bettas, preferably a filtered one. Have you been testing your water? If you're only doing water changes once every 2 weeks then there may be a buildup of ammonia. You can't see ammonia but it is easily tested for. When you are doing a water change you are really removing the ammonia and other byproducts such as Nitrites and Nitrates. You might have to do water changes more often, unless you're testing the water and the ammonia is just really low. This is just my opinion so anyone else can add on or change anything but this is what I'd suggest. Good luck!

·
Banned
83 Posts
Bettas are *TROPICAL* fish, that originate from a *TROPICAL* country. So yes, they DO need a heater. If you were cleaning your tanks every other day, like three times a week, and keeping the temperature at 24 deg Celsius, then I'd say you're fine. Bettas have a labyrinth organ that allows them to breath at the surface, so stacking them is not a very good idea firstly, and secondly cleaning tanks that small every two weeks is even worse, because of ammonia build up, nitrites and nitrates. All of which can kill your fish.

A 2.5 gallon IS recommended because its less maintenance than those half gallon - 1 gallon containers. I hope I have helped, and I also hope that you'll do a bit more research on these fish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.

No I have not tested my water, I buy betta water from my local fish store. Never heard of it before until I bought the water. Apparently it has conditoner in it that is required for a fish. Of course I don't know how true that is. I guess my local pet stores have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to taking care of tropical fish or any fish for that matter because they told me that they basically come from small cold puddles of water of about 2 1/2 inches deep and really don't require much as far as care and captivity.. I will however change to bigger tanks for the two of them. I would rather take advice from individuals who actually know what they are talking about rather than a local pet store. My bigger question is; is it expensive to upgrade to bigger thanks with the heater and filter? I had up to 200 gallon tanks growing up with much larger fish, but never anything this small. I remember my parents paying up to $1000+ just for a 200 gallon.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I don't know if you get them there, but here we have 10gal starter kits that come with a heater and filter. IMO, bigger tanks are less maintenance than small tanks and it will work out to be cheaper and easier to keep in the long run.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Pet smart and also Wal-Mart has affordable 2.5 to 5 gallon tanks, heaters can run about $10 on Amazon depending on which ones you get. You could probably do about $100-$150 without too much effort. Also that betta water is a waste in a bigger tank. Get yourself some Seachem Prime. It smells, but it's amazing stuff. I cannot believe they still give out the "cold little puddles" info. Welcome to betta addiction!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, The myth that bettas originate from small puddles and therefore can survive in bowls or .5 tanks is upsettingly popular. Bettas actually originate from rice patties that are actually pretty shallow, but span an enormous amount of land. I'm so glad that you are trying to improve your bettas lives and are trying to learn more. A lot of people would not do any other research and just listen to the petstore, which leads to a lot of bettas suffering. Bettas could technically be kept in tanks that are less than 1 gal, although it would require TONS of water changes, pretty much every day, and my bettas would be sad, because they only have 5 gals. and they use every inch of it! when I upgraded from 2.5 gals to a 5 gals all of my bettas got more energetic (except for one but he's a lazy little poop)
The 2.5 gals I've seen are not that expensive... but it depends on where you are. I've seen the tanks themselves range from 25-45 dollars, the more expensive ones usually come with a heater and/or a filter. My local petshop has kits of 3 gals with decorations, gravel, a betta turkey baster, a filter, and a heater for 50-60ish dollars, which is a pretty good deal. There are also petco's dollar per gal. sales where you could get one 5 gal and split it in the middle. I have a divided 15 gal and it saves a lot of space because it's one take instead of 3... or 2 in your case.
Good luck and let us know what you end up doing! Also post any other questions you have, pretty much everyone here would be happy to help!
Also sorry I wrote like an entire essay... I tend to rant a bit.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Bettas are tropical fish whose health and wellbeing are at thier best at temperatures between 78 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. They are native to vast rice paddies and the slow moving jungle streams that feed them. Not dirty mudpuddles.
You can pick up a 2 1/2 to five gallon kit for around $35 or $40 and a small preset heater for $10 or $12. Some sand or gravel and a few silk plants and you're on the road to a long happy life with your little bettas. They depend on you for thier very lives. High quality food, clean water and warm conditions are essential to them.
Yes they can survive in tiny cold containers, that doesn't mean they should. That's not fair for any living creature. Is it now?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had two bettas when I was much younger that I kept in cold water- I didn't know any better and info wasn't out there as it is now. I trusted petco. They lived 2-3 years but they were very very sluggish and didn't swim around much. Strongly recommend a heater for sureee. Your betta will be so much happier and lively.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Hey! It's actually kind of a debate whether or not bettas need heaters because they can survive in lower temperatures, but I believe that bettas should always have a heater because they are tropical fish and prefer 78-82˚ F.
I must respectfully disagree. Surviving does not equal thriving. Just because those Bettas in big box chain stores are still alive after one month does not mean it is recommended to replicate that environment. They are hardy fish, but it doesn't mean we should test their limits! Plus, if the sheer fact of being alive is set as a measurement of health, the government would save a crap ton of money from health care =\ 78-82F ideal range is not a belief. It is a fact. It's not their preference. It's their basic need.

They also don't just prefer the temperature being higher, but the steadiness of the temperature. If the temperature is constantly changing then it can put them under stress and hurt their immunity.
Here's another reason why heaters are a must. Even in a warm climate where the water stays a constant 78-80F (for example) I'd still recommend to have a heater on hand just in case. I grow up smack dab in the equator and there's still such thing as "colder months" where we actually get 72F daytime temp. That's probably when I want to plug my heater in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.